Woodfordes, Sundew Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aitch

Reaction score
Muddydisco said:
Woodfordes, Sundew Review

First week in FV, really odd fermenting, like its in cycles, no bubbles for a couple of minutes then continuous for a few seconds then nothing again for a few minutes. Went off like a train, a good thick krausen had risen and fallen within 24hrs, steady temp 20deg, hoping to keg next weekend but have the feeling it wont be ready.

Going into secondary today at a steady 1.01 (tad over 4%), sample was quite clear and tasty though sweeter than Sundew as its so young, I have high hopes for this brew, could be a cracker.

Requested this before I checked for one!
Picked this kit up yesterday. Getting it going tomorrow night if It's a bit cooler.

mason said:
Requested this before I checked for one!
Picked this kit up yesterday. Getting it going tomorrow night if It's a bit cooler.

I think it'll be a winner Mason, time will tell

Picked mine up sunday too & will get it on this week. Can't wait.
Well, I have been waiting about 6 weeks for it to come in but you know what I mean. :roll:
I need more bottles though!

Right, weather back to normal. Getting this going tonight!

I've had to move mine out of a leaky keg to another keg tonight, I hope it will be ok, reprimed too time will tell I guess :|

I have heard a lot of good things about the Woodfords kits. But the pricing kind of puts me off them at the moment. You will have to keep us posted and maybe I will end up changing my mind lol.

critty said:
I have heard a lot of good things about the Woodfords kits. But the pricing kind of puts me off them at the moment. You will have to keep us posted and maybe I will end up changing my mind lol.

The Wherry is stunning critty and worth every penny. I'm no expert but when you bre a pint that tastes at least as good as the pub (I've had worse in some!) then youn know its a winner.

I did a Wherry as my filler easy kit for the bottles I got off a m8. Never expected much really!
I was suprised how good it is. After two weeks I had a taster and it was nice but after two months it's a cracker well worth the praise ;)
I gave my m8 several bottles and he loved it!
After drinking in some shoddy ale houses over the years I'd say it better than most of the muck I've been served :drink:

Drinking a wherry now, old fashioned session beer. Good drink.

Is anyone drinking the Sundew yet?
I bottled mine this week.
I was really worried it hadn't finished fermenting as it stopped when the cold spell hit :evil:
But I stuck the hydro in it & it came out 1014 so seems ok. I can't believe how fast this fermented!
Bottled with a large 1/2 tsp of light hopped spray malt. & sitting in the warm now.

muddy90 said:
Is anyone drinking the Sundew yet?
I bottled mine this week.
I was really worried it hadn't finished fermenting as it stopped when the cold spell hit :evil:
But I stuck the hydro in it & it came out 1014 so seems ok. I can't believe how fast this fermented!
Bottled with a large 1/2 tsp of light hopped spray malt. & sitting in the warm now.

Mine's in the keg, ready in a week to 10 I reckon. Quality control has it a bit sweeter than the pub pint but we'll see when its ready. Not sure it needs any extra hoppiness either.

PS QC tonight and its clearing/carbonating nicely. Sundew isn'ta "fizzy" beer anyway but I reckon that this will be a cracker in 6-8 weeks (not that it'll last that long!)

Like you Guys when I saw Woodfordes had released Sundew I thought gotta try that. I am a bit of a Woodfordes fanboy. I've brewed Wherry a couple of times and Headcracker all of which turned out very nicely indeed. None of them lasted very long in the barrel which I reckon is a pretty good indicator. Either that or I'm just an alcoholic :whistle:

Anyways. the Sundew has just gone in the FV! I'll let you know how it goes

Brewed this to full 40 pints with no additions.
O.G = 1042 F.G = 1014 Temp corrected works out at 4%
Lovely light colour on bottling, alot lighter than the Great Eastern which it replaced.
Primed with 1/2 teaspoon dererara sugar.
Tried one last night and after only 3 weeks in the bottle is already a great beer :party:

:cheers:

got mine on today was a fathers day pressie, big fan of woodfordes kits never had a bad one yet and ive tried a few :D hope for good things from this too :cheers:

I've just given into temptation! I am weak. :roll: :drink:
Nice hiss on cracking the lid, poured ok but the sediment was still soft @ 2 weeks in bottle. Half decent head which has pretty much gone by half way down. Good aroma. Taste......

Watery! :(

Going to give it another 2 weeks & carry on drinking the Ipa.
The misses quite liked it as she said it was fairly 'lagery' :shock:

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me enquiring on this thread?
Just brewing my first Woodfordes Sundew. Started with OG of 1038, and seven days in at N average temp of 22 degrees, the SG has hit 1008, after hanging at 1010 for two days.

Worried about leaving it too long in the FV, however, there are still bubbles rising, but much more infrequently than before.

Is it time to siphon it into a secondary vessel and batch prime for bottling on say Sunday?
Any advice appreciated thanks!

Paul

Latest posts

Back