Induction Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hey y’all

Bit of a tech query that hopefully someone has a bit of knowledge about.

I received a newsletter last week from BYO and there was an article about induction brewing. Quite interesting and something that I fancy trying. ATM I am just using my cooker top to get my 19L stock pot up to boiling temp. I generally have between 8 and 10 litres of fluid that I need to bring to the boil and that takes anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour (more likely to be closer to an hour).

So my query is do these induction hobs get your brew to the boil much quicker than stove tops?
If so, how much faster are we talking (roughly speaking)?
I’m guessing more expensive induction hobs do the job faster but have any of you guys had success with a more affordable device?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Currently drinking:
Experimental Speculoos Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout – Original homebrew recipe
Zombie Dust IPA Clone

In the pipeline:
Founder’s Breakfast Stout Clone
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Stout Clone
Kwak Clone

So my query is do these induction hobs get your brew to the boil much quicker than stove tops?
I’m guessing more expensive induction hobs do the job faster but have any of you guys had success with a more affordable device?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Dont know about the stand alone ones, but our induction hob in the kitchen can get a 2l pan of water to boil quicker than our kettle. They are pretty rapid

Yeah but I wonder how long it would take to get 10 litres to the boil. My cooker is just a cheap Argos one that has that A+ rating sticker on it. I did use a friends cooker a couple of times and it was a bit quicker but it was nominal. He had an older, less eco-friendly cooker.

Yeah but I wonder how long it would take to get 10 litres to the boil. My cooker is just a cheap Argos one that has that A+ rating sticker on it. I did use a friends cooker a couple of times and it was a bit quicker but it was nominal. He had an older, less eco-friendly cooker.

What size induction are you referring to? If you get a 2000w one its going to be the equivalent of all your whole hob and you can use them outside. Sorry i cant say exactly how long it takes to boil as i never timed it but an hour for 10l is a bit much. You will see a big improvement.

Not sure about the size. I've done a quick search online and there are a lot of different types out there. I basically just want one that my stock pot will sit on nicely and it'll get my brew boiling in under 20 minutes. What size of watt that is, I have no idea.

Hey y’all

Some info on the Buffalo 3KW, posts 14 & 28 have some stats on boil times:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63593

I found another use for mine last week, I plugged it into my Inkbird to keep my wort at a steady 40°C for 48 hours while the sour starter did it's thing, worked a treat.

I use a couple of 3kw buffalo induction hobs ((£120 from nisbets when on offer)... I really do like them... no element to clean... I use a 10gallon ssbrewtech and 45liter pot from brewbuilder ... both work really well... I would say it takes between 45-60 minutes to get up to mash temperature depending on what time of year it is. I also noticed a difference once I wrapped them in insulation.

Yesterday I downloaded the manual for our cooker (might have use for it in a lesson) and found out that the biggest one of the zones is 2300 W with a 10 minute boost option of 3700 W. But aside from that: no, no experience (yet) with 5 gallon boils, only 1, but induction is perfect! Cleaning is a dream, and there's also an option to set the desired temperature, boost to that, and leave it on that temperature for an hour! Didn't know that either...
And I already have been using this cooker for what, 6 years? :oops:

Cheers for all the input guys. I bought a 2000w hob from Maplin (https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/slimline-induction-hob-a21nw) and tested it last night. I poured 10L of cold water into my 20L stock pot and turned the hob on full power. 30 minutes later and it was sitting at 70 degrees C. That is the temp I would use when steeping grains for a partial mash. 50 minutes in and it was bubbling...until I removed the lid. It just wouldn't break the surface. Stayed stuck on 99 degrees C. It's being returned as those are about the same times I was getting with my cooker.

Now the fact that heating surface diameter on the hob is 20cm and my stock pot has a base diameter of 30cm might have something to do with it but I don't know of any big stock pots with a 20cm diameter.

I have read about those Buffalo 3000w hobs and a lot of people give them the thumbs up (just a pity they are £150 new). Can anyone give me an indication what would happen if I did the same test as last night, using the Buffalo 3000w? Just a rough idea. Also, are there any cheaper options to the Buffalo that do the job just / almost as well?

Thanks guys

It's quite simple maths. It takes about 4000 joules to raise one litre by one degree. So 10 litres from 15-100 degrees takes 4000x10x85 joules - 3,400,000 joules. A 3Kw hob of any sort will deliver 3000 joules per second so divide by 3000 to give 1333 seconds. 22 minutes. Allowing a bit for losses and inefficiencies - probably 25-30 minutes on a 3Kw hob, double that on a 1.5Kw kitchen hob. There are more losses if the boil takes longer as more energy is lost to the environment so the more powerful the hob the more efficient it will be.

I have read about those Buffalo 3000w hobs and a lot of people give them the thumbs up (just a pity they are �£150 new). Can anyone give me an indication what would happen if I did the same test as last night, using the Buffalo 3000w? Just a rough idea.

You get what you pay for, it also helps to insulate the pot.

Did you check posts 14 & 28 here like I suggested?:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63593

I did mate, yeah. Thanks for the link. I agree 100% with you, you really do get what you pay for. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for a deal on a Buffalo.

Anbrew - simple maths eh? Perhaps when I was back in school but that was a long time ago now.

Cheers for all the input guys. I bought a 2000w hob from Maplin (https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/slimline-induction-hob-a21nw) and tested it last night. I poured 10L of cold water into my 20L stock pot and turned the hob on full power. 30 minutes later and it was sitting at 70 degrees C. That is the temp I would use when steeping grains for a partial mash. 50 minutes in and it was bubbling...until I removed the lid. It just wouldn't break the surface. Stayed stuck on 99 degrees C. It's being returned as those are about the same times I was getting with my cooker.

Now the fact that heating surface diameter on the hob is 20cm and my stock pot has a base diameter of 30cm might have something to do with it but I don't know of any big stock pots with a 20cm diameter.

I have read about those Buffalo 3000w hobs and a lot of people give them the thumbs up (just a pity they are �£150 new). Can anyone give me an indication what would happen if I did the same test as last night, using the Buffalo 3000w? Just a rough idea. Also, are there any cheaper options to the Buffalo that do the job just / almost as well?

Thanks guys

I can test my buffalo out next time i brew(this wknd any luck) for you. Seen one for sale for £70 though if your interested dm me.

Back