carbonating lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian...

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have read through lots of posts on this and thanks to the information gleaned from here, I won't waste my time/lager by trying to keg it. I plan to bottle it using 2ltr PET bottles. The opinions on amounts of priming sugar seem to vary from 1/2 tsp per pint to a full tsp per pint. Any thoughts on how much I should use for priming these 2ltr bottles for lager? This is to put away for the summer (if we get one).

many thanks

Ian

For lager i use 1/2 teaspoon per 500ml bottle, so for 2 litre bottles multiply that by 4 and ,id use 2 teaspoons per bottle. :thumb:

i agree with bottler i use half a teaspoon for a pint :thumb: , only trouble with using 2litre bottles is you have to drink 4 pints each time :cheers:

I thought it was 1/2 tsp per 500ml for ale but 1 tsp for lager as it is usually much fizzier and served colder. Not sure if this is a problem in 2L bottles.

rpt said:
I thought it was 1/2 tsp per 500ml for ale but 1 tsp for lager as it is usually much fizzier and served colder. Not sure if this is a problem in 2L bottles.

Yes... I thought lager was harder to carbonate than ales because it is a much lighter/paler malt.... not sure what to do.

I don't think it's harder to carbonate, it's just that this style of beer is usually fizzier than ales. Of course, personal preference may dictate less fizz.

Ian, you should think of gathering up 500ml-say 660ml bottles, the likes of bulmers brown ones are great, or even buy coopers 500ml brown pet bottles for around £12 for a box of 24. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back