Substitute for 2-Row and Rice Husks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey,

So I really would like to knock up a begian wit tomorrow. I have a recipe which looks right up my street.. but it asks for 2-row American Malt.. which I'm out of. I have Marris Otter Pale. Can I substitute?

It also asks for Rice Husks to not block the Mash Tun. I don't have any Rice Husks and can't get any by tomorrow. Is there anything else I can use? I understand that the Rice Husks don't adjust the flavour at all, and are just to stop the mash tun blocking, however I have a false bottom.. Do you think I'll be okay to skip out the husks?

Now I come to check, I actually don't have flaked oats either :( I have flaked wheat, but not oats. Could I use flaked oats off the supermarket shelf? Porridge oats?

Cheers,
Jon

EDIT: I do have malt wise:

Belgian Munic Malt
Rhar White Wheat Malt
Extra Pale Lager Malt
MO Pale Malt
MO Extra Pale
Caramalt
Weyermann Carahell
Cara Vienna
Dingemans Cara Vienna
Weyermann Cara Munich
Flaked Wheat

I was going to use saaz hops for this as it's not really supposed to be a hoppy beer.

You can use MO instead of Am. 2 Row if you want. However MO has a more fuller biscuity flavour. Use the lager malt you have if enough of it, if you want to copy the reciepe as exactly as possibly.

Yup, supermarket oats will do you.

Dunno about the rice hulls

Latest posts

Back