Boots pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martynhusky

Reaction score
Okay so as you might have guessed by the title this is about the Boots Pressure Barrel.
This is what I am using at the moment. I have been brewing beer now for around a year, and I am still having trouble carbonating the finished product in the barrel, (it seems to work if I bottle it) On the lid of the barrel there is what looks like a small black baseball cap. Its actually a pressure release valve. But I think that this is where the problem lies.
Anyone got any ideas on what I can do???
I've tried sticking the valve down with tape, and rubber cement, (The kind of stuff you would use if you had a puncture on your bike and had to patch it up)
The only thing i can think of would be to take the valve out completely, and replace it with a bolt.
If anyone has had a similar issue, and has managed to find a way round it, could you let me know thanks.
Spud

ive got one (thats if its a brown one) i have just done turbo cider in it and it never lost its fizz. mine as you say has got a release valve and also a co2 valve.

try removing or gluing up valve / hole and then fit a s30 valve
paul keg9 homebrews

Martynhusky said:
Okay so as you might have guessed by the title this is about the Boots Pressure Barrel.
This is what I am using at the moment. I have been brewing beer now for around a year, and I am still having trouble carbonating the finished product in the barrel, (it seems to work if I bottle it) On the lid of the barrel there is what looks like a small black baseball cap. Its actually a pressure release valve. But I think that this is where the problem lies.
Anyone got any ideas on what I can do???
I've tried sticking the valve down with tape, and rubber cement, (The kind of stuff you would use if you had a puncture on your bike and had to patch it up)
The only thing i can think of would be to take the valve out completely, and replace it with a bolt.
If anyone has had a similar issue, and has managed to find a way round it, could you let me know thanks.
Spud

Keg9

I have fitted a S30 valve myself, when I put it in, I made it a very tight fit, and packed a load of the rubber cement (Puncture repair glue) round the hole between the plastic and the rubber rings. So I don't think that there is any leek there. :wha:

Andyb13
I already brought one of those, but the thread is different, and it wont sit on properly, and I don't want to ruin the thread on the barrel itself. But thanks for ya help :thumb:

When I had a leak on one of my barrels I put some pressure into the barrel and put the upside down barrel into a large bowl of water to see where the leak was. In my case it turned out to be the CO2 (boots stile) injector had a hair line crack in the casing and was letting gas out, to repair it I used epoxy putty. Hope this is of help

Back