Chasing ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
Now quite recently I have been guilty of upping the ABV of my BIAB brews purely by either brewing slightly short, ie 20 instead of 23L or perhaps adding extra grain to the mash, which initially was an attempt to make up for the relative poor efficiency of BIAB brewing.
Consequently I have been supping some rather strong ale, generally around the 5.5/6 % mark, which incidentally quite a lot of supermarket beers seem to be heading these days....
Anyway, I came to the bottom of my 25kg sack of M.Otter and weighed it at 4.2kg and set out to use it up and perhaps brew to 15 or so litres. Quick look at recipes and Tim Taylor’s Landlord cropped up requiring 4.2kg of grain, perfect, especially as I had the hops required too, along with some black malt.
I did brew it slightly short (efficiency) and ended up with 18 litres in the fv with an OG of 1040. I also forgot to add the 20g of Bobek for the last 10minutes of the boil :doh:
So no great hopes but I let it do it’s thing for a couple of weeks where it finished at 1010, a bit disappointing, thought it might have gone lower. Racked it with a wee taster (bit ‘thin’ , but ok) and kegged a week later with 50g dextrose to prime. Fg 1010 which got me just over 4%.
In the keg now for a couple of weeks and another taster glass, mmmm ! Bloody lovely. Clean, clear, fresh and just a little bit hoppy. I’m not keen on the term ‘session’ beer, but this is probably it, and a welcome change from my recent dark, strong and ‘thick’ beers.
More to come methinks.....

Back