The Range "Make your own" Rosé 30 bottle kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
140 stores Nationwide - https://www.therange.co.uk/stores/

This Make your own rose wine kit brews a light, fruity, medium-sweet rose wine. With well-balanced sweetness and acidity this rose wine features subtle apple and strawberry notes. This rose wine is a good accompaniment to food but also good for drinking on its own.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg

tttttttt.jpg

Mrs Tea found this at my local Range store, they also make a white and red version the Rose is priced a £19:99.

When she went to pay the shop assistant told her these kits fly off the shelf every time they get a delivery so i was hoping for something better tasting than the price tag would suggest.

You cut along the dotted line which gives access to dry and wet compartments containing the sachets and the juice, the sachets are wine yeast, oak chippings, stabiliser and finings A and B, there is no nutrient sachet which concerned me at the time.

I had no need to worry about the lack of a nutrient as It fermented vigorously for 7 days as the instructions said it would (allow more time in winter unless you have a heat source) on the seventh day i took a reading and it was finished at .995 (started at 1090)

I degassed added stabiliser and finings A & B which have to be added one hour apart, the instructions say to allow 3 days for clearing.

After 3 days it was crystal clear and ready to be bottled.

The instructions tell you to add 750g of sugar to back sweeten after you have stabilised and degassed it, i decided to leave it dry as Mrs Tea doesn't like sweet wine and i am glad i did as it would have been way to sweet for our tastes.

Last edited:
I got my Rose kit from Wilko cost me about £8 for 1 Gallon Batch I also got a Black Cherry to but the rose taste better then Black Cherry But if you have a Wilko's near you, You should check it out some cheap things in there or go to there site (http://www.wilko.com/)

I buy the "make your own" kits because they are good value for money and fast (10 days start to finish) which is great if you want to get plenty of wine bottled and ready to drink while you wait for your WOW experiments to finish.

If i remember right the wilco stuff takes a lot longer and TBH if i was going to make a gallon i would make a WOW and save myself a fiver. :thumb:

True you have a point there, I would not mind trying one of them from the range and see how it goes and if it has a difference in taste and smoothness

By week 2 it had totally changed from the harsh flavour it had when first finished, it tasted more like it is described - "light, fruity, medium-sweet rose wine. With well-balanced sweetness and acidity this rose wine features subtle apple and strawberry notes"

Bear in mind the instructions say to add 750g of sugar before bottling, i would advise caution and add it to each bottle before drinking rather than do the whole batch in one go in the FV.

Let us know how you get on.

Have just bought one of these kits and am wondering if you use dextrose or just normal white sugar?

abssm said:
Have just bought one of these kits and am wondering if you use dextrose or just normal white sugar?

I use Tate and Lyle's finest, i have never used dextrose in any of my wine.

A word of warning if you haven't read the full review -

The instructions tell you to add 750g of sugar to back sweeten, i decided to leave it dry as Mrs Tea doesn't like sweet wine, i am glad i did it would have been sickly sweet if i had followed the instructions.

Great stuff thanks

The instructions say after 7 days to stir in the rest of the sachets and stir well. Did you rack it off into a clean container first or just mix all the sediment back into it?

Hmm interested in what the red would be like, most partial to a glass of red.

abssm said:
Great stuff thanks

The instructions say after 7 days to stir in the rest of the sachets and stir well. Did you rack it off into a clean container first or just mix all the sediment back into it?

I give it a good degassing in the original fermentation bucket with my drill attachment then added the stabiliser and finings A, you then wait an hour and add finings B, it will be crystal clear after 3 days, i usually find its clear by two, you can test it by taking a sample from half way down the bucket with some syphoning tube. :thumb:

abssm said:
Great stuff thanks

You make it from start to finish in the original FV.

Chippy_Tea said:
abssm said:
Great stuff thanks

I give it a good degassing in the original fermentation bucket with my drill attachment then added the stabiliser and finings A, you then wait an hour and add finings B, it will be crystal clear after 3 days, i usually find its clear by two, you can test it by taking a sample from half way down the bucket with some syphoning tube. :thumb:

What did you attach to the drill to degas it with?

Have bottled this today and am very impressed.

According to my Hydrometer it has turned out at 11.1%

After adding the stabilizer and finings last Thursday i racked it into a clean FV today so i could use my little bottler rather than just syphon.

Hare is where i may have made a small mistake.

Due to Chippy's warnings about sweetness i didn't add any sugar when the instructions say to, however i did add 100g when i racked it off today under the impression that the stabilizer will have killed the yeasties to stop any secondary fermentation? Is this correct or have i got 27 bottle bombs brewing in my storage area? (Was 29.5 bottles but we have already sunk 1.5 bottles and given 1 to my neighbour)

I did find the wine a little dry and added the sugar in 20g doses until when i got to the 100g mark, i thought this was just right. So glad i didn't add the 750g the kit tells you to.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me about my possible secondary fermentation problem i would appreciate it

sorry another noob question what attachment do you fit to your drill to degas i got knackered degassing this rose very nice though and as others have stated i didnt add anymore suger to back sweeten and it tastes fine :cheers:

For what its worth, i think this kit is brilliant. I spent my childhood surrounded by homebrew but haven't tried brewing my own until now. For a first time brewer i thought this kit was brilliant and think the results are really really good - even after just finishing making it. I can thoroughly recommend!

PS I know you don't 'brew' wine, as such, but I couldn't think of a suitable alternative :)

Tickleoria said:
For what its worth, i think this kit is brilliant.

Do you add the extra sugar recommended in the instructions after stabilising? i didn't as when i tasted it it tasted sweet enough.

Update.

I have made this kit regularly since the first in my OP, i still think it is brilliant value for money, i am sure that one of the members said it is a good kit re-branded with the range logo, i can believe it as i have made dearer kits that are no where near as good as this. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back