Christ Alive - Flixon Breweries Here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flixonbrews

Reaction score
Good afternoon, Flixon Breweries reporting in.

Our latest batch of Sauvignon Plonk we left in and kind of forgot about, for six weeks. We picked it up from our local home brew shop in St Helens, and it was their own country house wine make, that they buy in from Sweden I think they said.

Anyway, we plunged a glass in to have a test, and it came out clear as a bell. Naturally, being a wine conners... a wine connasae... an expert. I glugged at it with some force and swallowed it down like a pro.

It tasted bloody lovely. On the sweet side but palatable. Then came the kick, like a mule, and a dizzying swirl of colours, then a hot flush. This was good stuff. You won't be getting anything like this in a shop. Measured out at a quite staggering 26%.

So we thought to ourselves, let's get it bottled up, and we'll get a couple of lads round for a session on it. We managed three bottles between three of us, along with a few pints of Nelson's Revenge in the pressure barrel, and we were goners.

Since then, both of us have tried a bottle a piece, and still felt drunk at 1pm the next day, so we've decided to give it to people for Christmas, with a note containing it's percentage and a health warning.

We've been having a crack at a few things, the Ixon of Flixon has put a Christmas ale in the bucket, and I've had to go and have my liver checked, but we live to fight on another day.

Good morning, Flixon Breweries here,

A misread of the meter may have been possible, but it won't be far out. We can drink, and it absolutely cabbaged us to the point that we're now more than a bit scared of it. It's impossible to drink and few glasses and enjoy it. It tastes alright, but you'd have to mix it with lemonade. I drank nearly a full bottle of it, not uncommon for me if I get a nice red from the shop at the weekend, and I still felt ****** the following afternoon, I just couldn't seem to pull myself together.

The wine was from here http://www.thewineloft.co.uk/ , she is a nice lady that runs it, been there for decades. They do their own make and it was something like Country Sauvignon Plonk. I'm not sure if it was a seven day kit, but what happened is we left it for weeks, mainly due to other commitments and we should have added finings, and this sachet thingy that stops fermentation, but of course, we forgot all that. It came out clear as a bell anyway, because it had been left that long.

The yeast was supplied with the kit. We have used some EC-1118 previously, but only in Roddy's cider recipes, in case the amount of sugar killed off the standard stuff. We usually just use whatever yeast comes with whatever kit we are doing. Russ and I have both got young kids on the go, and limited time, so we brew kits, and our families and mates love Roddy's cider recipes (recipes can be found in these forums).

We've done a blackberry wine, which was nice, and a normal strength, about 14%, we've done that elderflower wine, again all from kits, and that was about the same, but it gave a bit of a strange type of drunk, which I recall someone on here saying his brother had a similar experience.

Anyway, bye for now. Russ has slung a Christmas beer into the bucket, whilst I've been off the grid, something to do with chocolate and ginger, so we'll see how that goes. Happy brewing all.

Over and out.

Latest posts

Back