Simcoe SMASH BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
Doing a Maris otter Simcoe SMASH this morning, using whole leaf for the first time.

I'll stick details on later when I have the laptop, but wondered what people think I should do about yeast addition.

I bought the wilko Gervin ale yeast after reading various posts about it and I also could get to the LHBS to get safale 05. Should I dehydrate or just sprinkle on top? Is it right that rehydration gives more cells?

I've used simcoe in a pale ale and really liked it. Both of those yeast are clean and work well but if you want the simcoe flavours to really stand out use US-05 as notty mutes hop flavour somewhat so you need more of it (hops) to get the same flavours

So if I'm doing a 12l boil to get 8 l in FVs using the following hops and notty yeast, would you advise slightly more hop?

15g 60mins
10g 0mins
10g 5 day DH

So if I'm doing a 12l boil to get 8 l in FVs using the following hops and notty yeast, would you advise slightly more hop?

15g 60mins
10g 0mins
10g 5 day DH

Depends how much of a hop flavour you want. 10g@0min/10gDH for 8L looks good. But if you want to go with notty AND want a big hop flavour 12g-15g at both would be better

Well just starting the boil now so 60 mins to decide 😀 nowt like leaving things to last minute to ask questions.

I'm constantly changing my mind about things like which yeast to use, which hops to add etc and often leave things to the last moment.

If you've got lots of simco you could go with your original hop schedule and add a hop tea at bottling time to up the flavour. I've even changed the flavour completely on a beer with a hop tea because I didnt like the flavour the late hops gave me

That's a good idea. Think I'll stick to my schedule from the BF calculator and maybe take a sample before DH to check for hoppiness.

So 4 hour brew, chill and into FV - very happy with my efforts, and getting more efficient on the time spent during the brews.

Planned using BF software

8L Simcoe SMASH BIAB

2kg MO Pale Malt - 12l mash and boil

15g Simcoe Whole Leaf 60 mins
10g 0 mins
10g DH (maybe more based on test) in 1 demijohn, no DH in other

OG Target 1.059, 1.055 achieved

Wilko Gervin yeast pitched at 22C split into 2x 4L demijohns

Had a nightmare with my immersion chiller as the hose attachment kept flying off the tap so had to stand holding it in place for about 35mins. First time using whole leaf and found to be fine, didn't appear to be as much **** go into the strainer as normal, and just gave the hops a good squeeze through the strainer at the end.

And now is the waiting game :-x

Bottled this last Friday and hit 1.014 which I'm happy with after giving it a few more days at 24c to get it down from 1.020. Just been naughty and cracked a bottle tonight. Wow.

This has summer session written all over it. Massive whack of hop aroma on opening the dry hop bottle, and initial taste is fruity as anything. Bitterness develops to be the lasting taste which is really nice. Over the moon with this to end my first year of brewing.

2018 hopefully will see me up my quantities, need help from you lot though in deciding on my set up changes.

I really like simcoe. I had simcoe SMASH by Arbor Ales in the pub a little earlier. Really nice.
Surprisingly Simco also makes a good bittering hop as it is low in co-humolene

First time using it. Less harsh as galaxy or cascade I think. Defo one I'm going to consider going forward.

Latest posts

Back