Blackberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
3lb of blackberries
6 pints of water
3lb of sugar
Campden tablet
Yeast
Yeast nutrient
Pectolase

Got this going on Monday.

6 pints of boiling water onto fruit with sugar and a good stir.

Let cool and then stir in campden and pectolase.

Leave overnight.

Pitched yeast and nutrient.

Leave for a week or so and then I’ll take the fruit out and let it ferment down to just under 1.000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did 2kg blackberries and 800m sugar, blackberries mushed up with 2l water and left for 24 hours - then sieved. topped up to shoulder of DJ with 1/2 litre red grape juice and water.. got a massive "cap" on it and it blew airlock when i put in the other 1/2l of red grape juice!

cleaned it up and the "cap" has dropped for the most part and its fizzing like a bottle of pop.

Sounds good. I picked 1.8kg of blackberries today for exactly this, though I've had to put them in the freezer to brew next week. Spotted some elder berries to so I might have to go back for them too.

forgot to say I it 3 bunches of elderberries in also..

gonna get more blackberries at weekend and make some more. it's extremely satisfying using fruit you have picked.

I've just started making gallon no.5 since a couple of weeks ago when the first berries were ready! Freezer is full of them and the brambles can't stop giving. What's a boy to do?? Around here the elderberry situation is very dire this year - won't be making any of that (sob!) but the blackberries will go some way to compensate.

Have to agree. VERY good year for the Brambles! Froze 24lbs of them collected early. Could easily have quadrupled that by now but thought 8 gallons using brewbitz recipe will be enough for now ;) and ran out of freezer space.

3lb of blackberries
6 pints of water
3lb of sugar
Campden tablet
Yeast
Yeast nutrient
Pectolase

Got this going on Monday.

6 pints of boiling water onto fruit with sugar and a good stir.

Let cool and then stir in campden and pectolase.

Leave overnight.

Pitched yeast and nutrient.

Leave for a week or so and then I’ll take the fruit out and let it ferment down to just under 1.000.

Brewbitz? I may up the berries to 4lbs and drop the sugar a tad and see how we go. Got a couple of bottles left from last November. It is very nice but noticeably lighter in colour than the kit reds . Not that that matters.

Have to agree. VERY good year for the Brambles! Froze 24lbs of them collected early. Could easily have quadrupled that by now but thought 8 gallons using brewbitz recipe will be enough for now ;) and ran out of freezer space.

Don't know where you are, but are you experiencing the same dearth of elderberries as here in the frozen North? Terrible really but this year is easily the best I've seen for blackberries for a very long time. Gonna have to chuck more fish fingers and burgers and veg and other junk outta the freezer to make room for 'em, rate it's going.

Don't know where you are, but are you experiencing the same dearth of elderberries as here in the frozen North? Terrible really but this year is easily the best I've seen for blackberries for a very long time. Gonna have to chuck more fish fingers and burgers and veg and other junk outta the freezer to make room for 'em, rate it's going.

My profile shows my somewhat milder location. :whistle:

Never used fresh elderberries but have seen them out and ripe in far quantities on my usual dog walk. Not a lover of the taste.

Brewbitz? I may up the berries to 4lbs and drop the sugar a tad and see how we go. Got a couple of bottles left from last November. It is very nice but noticeably lighter in colour than the kit reds . Not that that matters.

That’s the one mate . Good vid on YouTube too.

My profile shows my somewhat milder location. :whistle:

Never used fresh elderberries but have seen them out and ripe in far quantities on my usual dog walk. Not a lover of the taste.
Same here Surrey ,classed as London borough however!.
Blackberries gone bonkers here:thumb::grin:

Hi!
16lb in the freezer at the club and building up to that in the home freezer, so 60 bottles expected this year, as well as a couple of litres of blackberry brandy in time for Christmas (not to mention blackberry crumble). The blackberry crop will be huge this year, but whereas blackberries are free, demijohns are not! :-(

The blackberry crop will be huge this year, but whereas blackberries are free, demijohns are not! :-(

I have the same problem looming. Looks like a visit to gumtree is in order. I've got some of those plastic ones for emergency use but they're ****. Can't let any of these blackberries go to waste!!

I am off out at the weekend to get another glut! also looking on the usual sites for demijohns. Clanged two together last week and one of the "exploded" the glass was everywhere. STay safe people.

Now - blackberry brandy!!! I need that recipe!

You can use the 5l water bottles from Tesco, ashbeck, just drill the lid. Chuck when used but keep the lid and grommet etc Bonus Is the water makes better beer......so I am told.

You can use the 5l water bottles from Tesco, ashbeck, just drill the lid. Chuck when used but keep the lid and grommet etc Bonus Is the water makes better beer......so I am told.

Excellent idea - I never thought of that. Don't like the plastic demijohns but if the water is cheap enough.... How much is it? I guess it'll be about 5p or summat in Aldi.

I ferment in these with a small freezer bag over the top, held on
with one of the elastic bands that posties are always dropping.
Never had one go off. Then when it's finished I store the wine in
the bottle for a year to mature.

Back