Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdaver

Reaction score
I made this following the exact recipe and times.
The starting gravity was a bit low at 1030 but it finished below 1000 in six days then it was kept indoors for two days then out to the conditioniong shed for two weeks.
Now the review.
It was not as light when mixing but went alot lighter whilst fermenting and finished a nice looking pint. It is not as light tasting as the coopers and has a more beery taste but all in all well worth the tenner. The wife really enjoyed this one alot more than the coopers so Il have to give it A (two thumbs up) for the catagory that its in.

I would also recommend the sweet newkie brown there both well worth the tenner. The newkie brown being my new favourite :D

Ive got one of these kits to have a go at... Ive got some wilkos brewing sugar and dme.. Do u recommend folowing recipe or swapping half the sugar for DME??

Also if doing again would you brew light to say 20 litres or once again stick to recipe??

What temps did u brew this at also please

Thanks

I also purchased this about 5 weeks ago for only a tenner with free sugar!! I was also very lucky as I also bought another one tonight and when I got to the till the tin was dented. But as it was the last one on the shelf the cashier called the manager and I got this for £6 with free sugar!!
my first batch started at 1034 and finished below 1000 after about 7 days, I transferred to a king keg and added 85g of dissolved heated sugar and then left in the spare room at 25 degrees for 5 days. I then put the keg in the garage for a month and had my first taste tonight....
omg very well worth the money, the tap had excellent pressure and a guiness style head and cleared crystal clear golden colour. The taste was very much like a corona so I am a happy bunny!! 25p a pint:-)

Hi guys,

I'm starting this one on Friday. I am aiming to bottle all of this brew.

I am thinking of using a Young's Lager Yeast with this kit.

Any thoughts? Also I am using brewing sugar instead of and DME or beer enhancer as I like a nice crisp lager.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

I'm drinking my 1st pint of this as I write. A bit early as its only been in the fridge 2 days, but its lovely, quite crisp and plenty of fizz. I weren't expecting much from this as it was the 1st time I used spraymalt and it all clogged into 1 lump so I tried to break it up and left it in the fv for 2 weeks but it didn't seem to ferment very well so I stirred in a kilo of brewing sugar and left it for another 2 weeks. I bottled it and left it in the warm for another 2 weeks then put them in the fridge friday.
I know I should leave it longer but I can't see me leaving it alone now, I'd have no problem paying £3 a pint for this in a pub! Definitely my favourite so far :thumb:

Well...

This is currently in my FV. I brewed it short to 20ltrs and used 1kg of brewing sugar. I used tap water. I brewed it short so it was a little stronger. I've also used Young's Lager Yeast. It's been in the FV 5 days and it's bubbling away like mad. Had a nice 2 inch thick krausen. Hopefully this should turn out nicely. I'll keep you updated. I'm planning on fermenting for 14 days, secondary fermenting for 10 days and maturing for 6 weeks.

mines been out in the shed conditioning for 4 weeks so going to have the first pint or 3 at the weekend, will see how it is

I have to say I was quite unimpressed with my Wilko's Cerveza.
I've just checked my Coopers Cerveza for SG and already its much clearer and has more taste to it than the Wilko's managed after a months conditioning.
Don't get me wrong - I still managed to sup it!!!!! :whistle:

i havent got very high hopes for it as i brewed to 23l and used the 1kg of brewing sugar.

I just picked this up today and was surprised to see £2 off at the till, i guess that's the brewing sugar being free! So that comes in at 25p a pint i guess, can't argue with that...

will be starting it shortly after my edme IPA comes out of the fv.

i was thinking that 4% abv seemed a little low, does everyone think you should 'brew short' (less water i guess) rather than adding more sugar? i suppose more sugar would add more alcohol but not flavour?

thanks!

Picked up a hoppy copper with the free dextrose as I was short.
I would never brew a Wilko kit with just sugar though, at least half and probably three quarters spray malt.

Two weeks in the FV and it's still bubbling well. I'm going to leave it anther few days before bottling. It's starting to clear already. I'm looking forward to a few of these on warm evenings.

i had the first few pints last weekend and was rather unimpressed, it was clear with a good head but tasted really thin and not very good. i tried again on friday and it has totally transformed. the taste is 100x better than last week and after friday and last night its a shame that the keg is nearly empty. will definately get another of these, very good for the money.

Just put this kit in the fermenter, done it to 21l with 900g dextrose and 500g light spraymalt, OG was 1.044 so hopefully get around 4.7% abv if it ferments to 1.008 like the instructions say.
Was going to do the coopers cerveza but got all the ingredients for £14 so thought sod it I'll give it a go :cool:

Not even been in the fermenter a week yet and its already down to 1.010 on hydrometer. Is a ferment this fast normal?

I have to say mine fermented very quickly but took almost three weeks before it stopped bubbling away. I have bottled it tonight and it smells lovely. I did taste a little and it currently tastes like a sweaty ballsack but I expected nothing less this early on. I've primed the bottles and they will spend the next two weeks in the warm before spending four weeks conditioning in the cold. I shall update once tasted.

Back