Brew days!? Two days in a row :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondread

Reaction score
I'm getting the hang of this, slowly. Yesterday I had a bit of a disaster when I - like a bit of a newbie - pitched my yeast at about 28c... luckily I have learned from this and I decided to get another brew on the go today.

So I've been quite busy and brewed today and yesterday! Hopefully will be able to rack them both at the same time in about two weeks. Bought myself another FV and a kit of Burton Bridge Summer Ale to try out. I also got an East Kent Goldings Hop teabag to try with it, which went in with the wort and I have some East Kent Goldings Hop oil which I am planning on dropping 2ml in when it gets kegged. Has anyone tried this oil and had good results?

So far both are going well, I think, I have no activity from the Burton Bridge yet as it has only been in the FV for about 5 hours. The Wherry however is going good though... I have some foam which has bubbled up and is only touching the lid on the right hand side, its actually made a shape exactly the same as a Cornish Pasty on the lid which I thought was quite amusing. No activity from the airlock but there has been a shift in the liquids, hopefully this means that everything is fine!

Bring on Christmas for these to be drunk, hopefully! Any suggestions on what I could do next, I wanted to do another lager or a bitter maybe, but make it quite hoppy and citrussy (if that is such a word) as I have a few friends which don't drink ale. I'm sticking to kits at the moment too as I don't have the capabilities to do anything more advanced in my tiny, freezing cold flat :D

sounds like your getting well on the way here and a busy day or so . You may need a blow off tube in the wherry ,well done :thumb:

pittsy said:
sounds like your getting well on the way here and a busy day or so . You may need a blow off tube in the wherry ,well done :thumb:
A blow off tube? I have a airlock bubble if that is the same thing? :P at the moment though the foam is only forming on one side, or well its forming across the whole surface but one side is much more frothy than the other, see what I mean? :P

160toja.jpg

Kind of. Sometimes the fermentation can be so vigorous the krausen (froth?) pushes through your airlock. A blow off tube is just a bit of tube attached to a bung and the other end is put into a jug of water. It stops anything getting in and doesn't make a mess if your beer tries to climb out of your fv, like this:
my6etagy.jpg

Grays may comes long and trump me with his picture of his escaping stout :lol:

Good god! That looks crazy but at the same time glorious!...... I must make a note to go straight to Wilko in the morning and get myself some hose. Not sure my landlord would appreciate a beer soaked carpet! Hah! Nothing dramatic as that on the Wherry at the moment, there is definitely krausen though, just not busting the seams of my bucket yet.

Latest posts

Back