Cali Common

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

Brewed a California Common today on the Bulldog Brewer. Hadn't planned a brewday, but the better half went out and I had some time to fill :whistle:. All went pretty smoothly:

23L
4.2kg MO
0.5 light crystal
0.2 medium crystal (only cos it was waiting to be used)

1 hr mash at 65 deg

40g Northern Brewer at 60 min
15g Northern Brewer at 10
45g Northern Brewer steep

OG 1050 (ish!)

CML cali common yeast.

Whaddyareckon?

:thumb:
two planned myself for after xmas.Interested in how it goes.

Never even tasted one before, let alone brewed it. I used the malt bill (near as dammit) in Euan Ferguson's book, and the hop schedule (ish) to Greg Hughes recipe.

It looked a lovely amber colour and the wort tasted good (insofar as wort ever tastes 'good':doh:)

I'm brewing it at the lower end of the yeasts range to try to keep in relatively clean.

Bottled on Saturday evening after reaching 1.010 (therefore approx 5.25%abv) and being chilled for a few days.

The sample I drank was good. Clean and quite bitter. Going to be a lovely pint well carbonated and chilled methinks.

Clone of Thornbridge kipling up next - very simple recipe from Euan Ferguson's craft brew, pale malt only with Magnum for bittering and Nelson Sauvin for flavour /aroma.

Back