The Range "Make your own" Rosé 30 bottle kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spotted these kits, if I wanted something a bit stronger do you think it would be OK to increase the sugar or reduce the water to get to something around 13 =14% ?

Scalli said:
Just spotted these kits, if I wanted something a bit stronger do you think it would be OK to increase the sugar or reduce the water to get to something around 13 =14% ?

I took a reading with my hydrometer when i first made one of these kits and it read 1090 which if you let it ferment dry will give you 13.5% so no need to add more sugar or reduce the water. :thumb:

If you haven't read the thread from the beginning bear this in mind -

The instructions tell you to add 750g of sugar to back sweeten after you have stabilised and degassed it, i decided to leave it dry as Mrs Tea doesn't like sweet wine and i am glad i did it would have been sickly sweet if i had followed the instructions, i never back sweeten as i find it fine without the extra sugar.

Nice one, might be tempted to get one to build stock levels up while I play around with the WOW and country wines. Just been round to the wives mothers to pick up her birthday present, she must have heard we had started making wine again. She has just been given two Wilko's kits :D

Have four more DJ's so can get another three going now :thumb:

I bottled mine today on day 14.
Slightly cloudy, but I did it the lazy way through the tap on the bottom of the FV.

Always some yeast around the tap, I suppose, and I know from experience that it is unlikely to last long enough to be much of an issue. Tastes slightly astringent at first, as C-T says, but it reminds me very much of the old Boots 3-Week wine kits. I used to do the Dry White from choice and everyone who tasted it thought it was good. (Anyone else on here remember Boots 3-week Dry White?).

I think this will be a decent wine in fairly short order. Might even try back-sweetening with a Vimto / Ribena / Summer Fruits cordial, although I am not convinced it will need anything.

SWMBO had a sniff and and a taste, whilst I was bottling. She didn't like it, pehaps due to the fact it's 2 weeks from pitching and at 18 deg C to boot, but said it "wasn't horrible". She seemed a bit horrified by how quickly I had assembled 18 empty Pinot Grigio bottles, all emptied by the Dear Wife (as they say on Mumsnet) :lol:

The rest had to go into PET botlles that formerly contained lemonade or some such, about which she was most disparaging. :nono:

The rest had to go into PET bottles that formerly contained lemonade or some such, about which she was most disparaging.

One advantage of using plastic over glass is plastic speeds up the ageing process as they are permeable to air, they are not so good if you intend to age your wine over a long period.
As you have already said the wine is a bit rough when new, give it a week or two in plastic bottles and you will notice the difference.

Chippy_Tea said:
The rest had to go into PET bottles that formerly contained lemonade or some such, about which she was most disparaging.

One advantage of using plastic over glass is plastic speeds up the ageing process as they are permeable to air, they are not so good if you intend to age your wine over a long period.
As you have already said the wine is a bit rough when new, give it a week or two in plastic bottles and you will notice the difference.

Nice one, Chippy :lol: Ageing over a long period is not really happening. When it turns out OK, I think there will be some interest at home. As has been pointed out, at 20% fruit content, it ain't going anywhere better, even in a bottle, after a few weeks.

:drink:

There is still one bottle of the 27 or so I got out of the first kit.
It's a very good, workmanlike kit that does its job - at less than £1 a bottle at 11.5 - 12% range its a good bet.

Over the last couple of weeks, I picked 2.4kg of blackberries and froze them. Yesterday, I defrosted the berries in the microwave (to zap micro-organisms) and added boiling water to a Pasteurisation temp at 50 - 60 C in a large pot. Left to cool and added campden tablet and pectolase to leave overnight.

Managed to strain the juice through a hop bag wrapped around a sieve, perched in a collander, into a FV containing 4kg of sugar dissolved in boiling water. This was less messy than I feared. Used a ladle to get the juice from the 15L pan to the FV via the sieve set-up.

Topped up to 25.5L and pitched the yeast at 25C.

On the experience of the first batch, I am planning to rack this before de-gassing (due to the little bits of blackberry stuff that will have gone through the sieving) and adding the stabiliser and finings. I also intend to add a concentrated cordial of blackcurrant juice (750ml) at the racking and stabilising stage, instead of back-sweetening with sugar.

Incidentally, there are more raspberry beetle grubs this year, following a great blackberry season last year. Don't suppose they will drink much, though. :drink:

Hi can you please advise me what to do .. made the range rosie and did degass before the final stage it's been 3 days now and took a small sample off .. its clear and tastes good but still has bubbles in it what can I do ??
P's first ever batch ..

There is still one bottle of the 27 or so I got out of the first kit.
It's a very good, workmanlike kit that does its job - at less than £1 a bottle at 11.5 - 12% range its a good bet.

Over the last couple of weeks, I picked 2.4kg of blackberries and froze them. Yesterday, I defrosted the berries in the microwave (to zap micro-organisms) and added boiling water to a Pasteurisation temp at 50 - 60 C in a large pot. Left to cool and added campden tablet and pectolase to leave overnight.

Managed to strain the juice through a hop bag wrapped around a sieve, perched in a collander, into a FV containing 4kg of sugar dissolved in boiling water. This was less messy than I feared. Used a ladle to get the juice from the 15L pan to the FV via the sieve set-up.

Topped up to 25.5L and pitched the yeast at 25C.

On the experience of the first batch, I am planning to rack this before de-gassing (due to the little bits of blackberry stuff that will have gone through the sieving) and adding the stabiliser and finings. I also intend to add a concentrated cordial of blackcurrant juice (750ml) at the racking and stabilising stage, instead of back-sweetening with sugar.

Incidentally, there are more raspberry beetle grubs this year, following a great blackberry season last year. Don't suppose they will drink much, though. :drink:
Just bottled 33 star bright bottles of Rose. :razz: Tastes fruitier than the last batch I think, but it is a bit rough at 2 weeks from pitching.

I added the blackberry remnants to a beer batch as an experiment - it is a Wilko 2 can Pilsner brew. I'm aiming for a "blushing blonde" - see Coopers website recipe section.

Started another batch of this on Tuesday this week. Added some GJ to push it out to 25L as this will actually yield 30 bottles or so after racking to a secondary FV (I know this is not what the instructions say) and I am very impressed with effort No 2. (Described Above).

The Ribena sort of taste in the last batch has faded nicely and now it is just like a commercial (if bottom of the range) Rose, although it is 20% juice only, so never going to be more than "pretty drinkable".

In style it really does remind me of the 3wk Wine Kits Boots used to make many years ago.

We liked the range Rose (as you can tell in my review) but now prefer the WineBuddy Sauvignon Blanc kit, its only £1.50 more and its delivered free, i now make all my Rose using RGJ + Apple juice in 22.5 litre batches.

Picked up today so hopefully get it started over the weekend. I'll be pleased if it turns out ok as I've taken a shining to rose of late :)

I finally got around to trying the very last batch of this kit recently.

It was started on 31 Jan this year and I added 3L of RGJ so as to get the useable output up to 30 bottles or so, without diluting it too much.

In the meantime, I stopped making and drinking home made wine, at the "request" of SWMBO.

After nearly 9 months, it is a bit "edgy" still, as it is very dry, but back-sweetened with a dash of Vimto it is pretty palatable. Certainly no worse than the cheapest (£4?) stuff on offer.

Appreciate that the timescales may be unusual in this case, but it is an approach to getting a decent wine, for not much cost and not much effort.

Did you add the extra sugar to back sweeten?

A word of warning if you haven't read the full review -

The instructions tell you to add 750g of sugar to back sweeten, i decided to leave it dry as Mrs Tea doesn't like sweet wine, i am glad i did it would have been sickly sweet if i had followed the instructions.

Back