Yeast....... sprinkle or stir?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddishflint

Reaction score
Hi again fellow brewers. Some kits say to sprinkle yeast on top and some kits say to stir in. Does stirring kick in the fermentation process quicker?

it depends on the yeast. Some need to be rehydrated first - if there are no specific instructions on the pack, sprinkling it on top is best (I find)

i have been sprinkling on top of the foam, leaving for 15-30 mins and then stirring in

I'm about to make my second batch of Woodforde's Wherry and it says to sprinkle on top. Best to sprinkle on top then I guess.

I posted my last comment same time as you Toffee. So you stir in the yeast what comes with Wherry? Notice you're from Cardiff. I'm up in the valleys.

alright boyo!

yeah, i've done two wherries, and neither have "stuck" like some.

before I pitch the yeast I whip up the wort a good un until there is a good layer of froth on it. then I sprinkle ontop, and put the cover on the FV. i leave it there to rehydrate a bit and then I gently stir it in.

This reminds me of that bog roll ad; fold or scrunch? As if anyone cared.

I sprinkle.

I sprinkle but I will admit I have latter stirred mainly having realized from the S.G. reading I must not have stirred enough to start with. Reading the on line guides it would seem yeast can double it's size every half hour so within a few hours it would not really matter what you did. However sitting on foam I would guess allows it to adjust to temperature slowly before re-hydration so likely less shock to yeast.

Stirring will allow more fermentables to come in contact with yeast so faster start but that is likely to equate to half and hour so does it really matter?

The faster the reaction the more heat and I am aware how easy it is to add yeast when a little too hot anyway. I now tend to start at 19[FONT=&quot]ºC until everything has slowed down then ramp up to 20[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ºC and I feel a slow start is likely a good thing.[/FONT]

I use Fermentis, and if you check their website it says hydrate the yeast in water at 27 to 30 degrees for at least 30 mins before pitching. I always do that, then stir in vigorously with a whisk for 5 minutes, always works a treat for me.

Latest posts

Back