Festival, Pilgrims Hope Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started one of these off. I used to brew a fair bit but this is my first batch for 10-15 years.

One observation, the initial SG seemed very high for the quoted ABV - 1.060. Any thoughts? With a target SG of 1.010, that would give an ABV of >7% whereas the kit states 5%, unless either my maths or my hydrometer is shonky. I hope it doesn't come out that strong, I'm trying to brew beer not wine :eek:

Maybe they allow an expectation that people won't get every drop out of the sachets (I agree with the earlier post BTW, I would much rather it came in cans) whereas mine were spotless by the time I was finished.

One observation, the initial SG seemed very high for the quoted ABV - 1.060. Any thoughts?

That does seem high, your maths is right I would expect an OG around 1050 not 1060. Kits are pretty reliable and if anything OGs tend to come out low due to people not stirring them enough, sounds like you haven't added enough water to the kit - might want to check your FV calibration as they're not always right. If you want it weaker just top it up with a few extra litres of water.

Whatever the OG, the yeast will only usually attenuate in an expected range, so high OG usually gives high FG, and low OG low FG.
If you are a bit suspicious of your hydrometer you could immerse it in water at the calibration temperature (often 20*C) and check it reads 1.000.

Thanks for the replies.

I got some new FVs for Christ,as as my old ones out in the garage were very dirty. They didn't have measurements on at all so I did them myself with a measuring jug and a sharpie. I double checked them on the second FV and I could have been a little light, but only by 500ml or so. I put an extra litre of water in the brew anyway, I'd rather it came out a little weak than too strong. We'll see whT the final SG says.

I've got it in the airing cupboard at 23C and it's bubbling awa a treat. Just need to find my old pressure barrel, or maybe I'll treat myself to a new one!

They didn't have measurements on at all so I did them myself with a measuring jug and a sharpie. I double checked them on the second FV and I could have been a little light, but only by 500ml or so.
Easiest way to calibrate an FV or similar is to progressively fill it with water. For example 5kg water occupies 5 litres as near as makes no difference. Bathroom scales are useful here.

Hi. I'm new on here and new to brewing. I did my first one a couple of months back and it was great! Festival Razorback IPA. Went down a treat.
Anyway, I want to do a Christmas ale next and was gonna go for Muntons Winter Warmer but, having read a few reviews, decided against it.
Now I'm thinking I'll do the Festival Pilgrims Hope and add a few seasonal ingredients. Cinnamon, ginger, clove.....whatever.
Thing is, being new to this, I don't know whether this would work, how to do it or what quantities to use for the 40 pint Festival kit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I can't offer any advice on that, although it sounds lovely. I would err on the side of caution though - too many strong flavours could end up overpowering. Will be interested to hear how it pans out so please report back!

Latest posts

Back