Red Wine Concentrate Substitute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Beaverdale Cab Sauv plus powder is still clearing but a little taste suggests it should be rather nice. I've started a Beaverdale Merlot, once again with added powder.

I am thinking of having a go at making area wine with powder, I was thinking of adding a Winebuddy Merlot 30 Bottle Kit that i have had lying around to it. Do you think this is feasible also thought of adding some oak chips and would i need extra sugar, tannin. This would be my first go at wine making for years so please be gentle with me. Thinking of making it to 20-23lts. What OG should i be aiming for for a full bodied red if possible.

I am thinking of having a go at making area wine with powder, I was thinking of adding a Winebuddy Merlot 30 Bottle Kit that i have had lying around to it. Do you think this is feasible also thought of adding some oak chips and would i need extra sugar, tannin. This would be my first go at wine making for years so please be gentle with me. Thinking of making it to 20-23lts. What OG should i be aiming for for a full bodied red if possible.

Hi

There's no sugars in the powder so add as per your wine kit instructions. I quite like the tanning level in the powder but others have suggested adding oak or tea.

As for the Winebuddy kit, I've never made one but they don't get very good reviews on here and are often slated for being far from full bodied.

I normally aim for SG of 1.090 for most wines but this is more to do with the ABV than the body.

Paul.

Only found this thread yesterday, but as a result I sent off for a kilo of the white stuff, which they say is good for 2 x 23ltr batches. I'll try owt once and being tighter than a gnat's chuff I couldn't resist. Doesn't really matter if it's not much cop cos it's for the missus and she's really not fussy as long as there's plenty of alcohol. Ye I know... I'm just after the low cost and quick turnaround but it would be bonus if it was good too. Will report back if anyone's interested.

Only found this thread yesterday, but as a result I sent off for a kilo of the white stuff, which they say is good for 2 x 23ltr batches. I'll try owt once and being tighter than a gnat's chuff I couldn't resist. Doesn't really matter if it's not much cop cos it's for the missus and she's really not fussy as long as there's plenty of alcohol. Ye I know... I'm just after the low cost and quick turnaround but it would be bonus if it was good too. Will report back if anyone's interested.

Let us know how you get on with the white. Don't know if you read my post about the white earlier in this thread but it didn't go well, I'm sure I just got a badly packed batch. I'm keen to give it another go but I've got a backlog of wines I plan to get started over the coming weeks.

I know you say shes not fussy... if you like a full bodied red I would be tempted to put in 700gm.. not 550gm. @ 550gm its like a cheap (but drinkable) house red. Maybe bolster it with 500gm of raisins or some dried elderberries.

If she really isn't fussy crack on with 500-550gm m8 :thumb:

I know you say shes not fussy... if you like a full bodied red I would be tempted to put in 700gm.. not 550gm. @ 550gm its like a cheap (but drinkable) house red. Maybe bolster it with 500gm of raisins or some dried elderberries.

If she really isn't fussy crack on with 500-550gm m8 :thumb:

It's actually the white I'll be making - got enough blackberry wine from this year's monster harvest to last a long,long time! But ye I think I'll add a few dried elderflowers ( she loves the flavour ) and some sultanas for body.

It seems that grape powder works out no cheaper than concentrate, which in itself is grape juice with the subtleties knocked out by the heat process involved. Cultivating grapes is relatively expensive, hard work, a long term investment and can be frustrating, but at least you get the genuine article. It is no surprise that the best wines are expensive!

It seems that grape powder works out no cheaper than concentrate, which in itself is grape juice with the subtleties knocked out by the heat process involved. Cultivating grapes is relatively expensive, hard work, a long term investment and can be frustrating, but at least you get the genuine article. It is no surprise that the best wines are expensive!

I agree with' sentiment but afta a hard shift down pit I ain't got the energy to tend, vines. And if i gave up the allotment to them where wud ferrets, pigeons and whippets live?

No it has t' be kits and odd blackberry for me if I'm aft to make wine! :lol:

I agree with' sentiment but afta a hard shift down pit I ain't got the energy to tend, vines. And if i gave up the allotment to them where wud ferrets, pigeons and whippets live?

No it has t' be kits and odd blackberry for me if I'm aft to make wine! :lol:

Lol my missus ain't no connoisseur - she'll sup anything I present her with so long as it's not poisonous, but I do make the effort whilst keeping costs ALARP!

Lol my missus ain't no connoisseur - she'll sup anything I present her with so long as it's not poisonous, but I do make the effort whilst keeping costs ALARP!

m8 - I cant be ar4ed with the powder anymore.. I've got some you can have for nowt. ping me your address and I'll get it in the post for ya.

The Beaverdale Cab Sauv that I made with added powder has turned out very nice indeed. There is a much more fruity taste and perhaps a little more body too. It will be interesting to see what it is like in another six months.

My Beaverdale Merlot with added powder has stuck at .998 so I have mixed up a nutrient rich yeast starter which will hopefully get it going enough to knock off the last few digits.

Last night I started a cherry and grape wow. Having made a few fruit ciders, I have found that adding the fruit flavour in the last stages of the fermentation, makes for a fruitier brew so what I am planning to do is add 200g red grape powder in a week or so and see what happens.

Last night I made a Ribena wine with some added grape powder. Its looking and smelling pretty good, will see how it goes, recipe below:

3L Ribena juice
1Kg white sugar
1L water
1 cup strong black tea
Yeast + nutrient.
100g red grape powder.

Boiled the sugar and grape powder in the water and bunged all in a 5L demijohn. Think I added a bit much sugar as OG was 1108.

Hi all

Just a follow up on this one as I had a bottle of the red made from powder (no other additions) last night, it had been in the bottle over six month and it was a nice wine. OK it's not going to win any prizes but I still recon compared to the cheap (£20 - £25) kits it's a much better drink and for less than half the price per bottle it's great value.

As it's been awhile since quite a few of you gave it a go, I was wondering how your wines turned out given a little time in the bottle?

Paul.

Last edited:
Ive not tried my red for a few months now, been meaning to give it another try. After bottling it was an ok wine at best, drinkable but nothing special.

I also made a white using the grape powder and it was not good at first, however I tried it again recently, think it had been in the bottle around 3 months and it is now really nice!! Hopefully the red has improved as much as the white did.... Ill let you know once I try again.

I gave all mine away.. it was thin and lacked body. i could drink ti but I'd rather spend £40 on a kit and enjoy it.

Back