Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alymere

Reaction score
I managed to pick up one of these kits today, a bit more expensive than the usual 2 can kits, £24.95. But to be honest looking at the contents I think it's worth it.

The kit contains 4.7 kilos of extract. A mixture of malt and invert sugar, the mix isn't specified.

As well as the big bag of wort there is a packet of dried yeast and 2 packets of hop pellets. The yeast packet seemed much larger than usual, it weighed in at 23g!
I also weighed the pakcets of hop pellets, the Summit weighed 29g and the Simcoe 23g.

The instructions are pretty good, it advises to aerate the wort at the start and doesn't give an over optimistic quick fermentation time.I'll be adding the hop pellets probably on day 12 out of 14. The instructions recommend 8 to 10 days but possibly up to 14 days for the fermentation.

I'll be starting this off in the morning. Hopefully I'll give an up date in a couple of weeks when I bottle the kit.

Nice to see what's in the box with these kits. Looking at doing cortez gold cerveza. Will follow this with interest.

Diggerg said:
Nice to see what's in the box with these kits. Looking at doing cortez gold cerveza. Will follow this with interest.
That looks right up my street. Will give it a go when I've got through the 7 coopers kits I have waiting!

I've been waiting for my LHBS to get these kits in but gonna get one as soon as they're in stock, got a few kits in the queue but I think this one will queue jump tbh lol :drunk:

Just a quick update. Started the kit off but out of interest I tested the OG. I waited for the sample to get to room temp, 20 degrees. The OG came in at 1.070! I then double checked the hydrometer in water at the same temp and that was spot on at 1.000. I'm not sure what the yeast is but if it ferments well this is going to be extremely strong. I've got it fermenting at around 18 degrees in the fridge in the garage.

alymere said:
Just a quick update. Started the kit off but out of interest I tested the OG. I waited for the sample to get to room temp, 20 degrees. The OG came in at 1.070! I then double checked the hydrometer in water at the same temp and that was spot on at 1.000. I'm not sure what the yeast is but if it ferments well this is going to be extremely strong. I've got it fermenting at around 18 degrees in the fridge in the garage.

1070!!! :shock:
You'll be able to run your car on that lol

Defiantly doing this kit when my lhbs get them in also want to try the four finger jack American pale ale.

Quick update on the Evil Dog brew. It's now the 5th of December and no sign of it finishing fermentation. I was hoping to add the hop pellets today but when I took a peak the yeast still looks like it's working. I'll check again next week.

Quick update, the yeast has dropped now so I've just added the hop pellets in around half a litre of water at 80 degree. I let them steep for around half an hour.
I also tested the fg, unbelievably low 1.004! I can' t believe the measurement , I did wait for it to warm up to 20 from 17. I drank the sample and it was dry and tasted very alcoholic, not sure if it will be too strong for my taste. Doing the maths it' s finished at around 10 per cent.
I've left it in the garage to hopefully clear a bit before I bottle on Saturday.

It's nice to see what's in these kits I have been fancying them for a little.

Another one who will be watching this thread to see the results.

I too bought this kit on Saturday as a Christmas present from My missus (very nice of her i thought!)

Speaking with the guy in LHBS he said he'd only got them in this morning and had already sold 2 (the shelf was half empty so im inclined to believe him. I didn't think I should hang around @ £24 The Kit is much more than Id usually spend but taking into account the ABV and all ingredients in the box thought worth a go for xmas.

Think I might actually brew this kit a bit long (24ltres) which makes a change as I often brew short, (21ltres) but would rather have a few more pints at 6% than 9% based on your SG readings.

I eagerly await how you get on. If I were you I would be sampling a bottle on friday the 20th.

(Sadly I will not get to start mine until after Christmas as it has been confiscated for wrapping)

I have just kegged this with 150g of priming sugar. I added the 2 hop 'teabags' 2 days before kegging as I am a big fan of fresh hopped beers. I'm hoping to open it on Christmas eve even though it will be cloudier than a day in Bridlington.

The only concern I have is that the OG was about 1.050 and the FG was about 1.010 yet it claims to be an ABV of 7.1% ??

I brewed this kit recently. Is still in the FV with hops waiting to be bottled. I've got some Allkleer finings from the local brewery to mix in before bottling as it looks a little cloudy and I want to drink it pretty soon. The OG was .072 and its now dropped to .010 so I'm happy with that... roughly 8.1 ABV.

Will let you know how it tastes! I've not sampled yet.....resisting!

Have sampled some of this my LHBS made it soon as he got it, and its been kegged for samples, in his shop, still bit fresh but coming out at 8.2%

First sip was nice and hoppy, and could not taste the ABV could get you into problems as it does not taste a strong brew.

Loving my first taste but only had a third as was driving.....I have both these Kits the 4 Fingers and Evil Dog, they will be put on after xmas

Back