Strawberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
This years batch wasn't plentyful, so had to add 600g of bought frozen.

1.2 kg of Strawberries, cut washed and cleaned, 1 camden added and left for 6 hours and brought to boil and simmered for an hour to clear most of the sulphates. Dissolved half the sugar in the strawberries.

1kg of sugar, 500g into dj the rest as mentioned above. Dissolved with 2 bag tea.

1 ltire of rgj for a change to the normal wgj I use.

Poured juice and mushed strawberries into dj and allowed to cool.

When cool added 1.5 tsp of pectolase, 1 tsp of wilko yeast nutrient and a tsp of citric acid. Harris premium yeast used for low foaming and was open, would have prefered gv4 but wasn't enough airspace for it.

Fermenting.

Just took off must, through coarse seive, although fine and medium peices got through the bulk was cleared. No camden used.

Just curious but if you were going to boil it anyway why did you use campden tablets? The opposite also intrigues me, normally after 24 hrs the sulphites won't hurt the yeast so why boil?

Sounds tasty though, hope it turns out well.

Just curious but if you were going to boil it anyway why did you use campden tablets? The opposite also intrigues me, normally after 24 hrs the sulphites won't hurt the yeast so why boil?

Sounds tasty though, hope it turns out well.

The boil kill's some otherthings that the camden won't kill, besides it helps extract the flavour same as in jam. 24hrs I find doesn't always work, besides wife often will bin anything left laying around :-(

Racked onto a camden today, very strong, not sweet to taste, although very strong, so if it has finishd fine as couldn't be bothered taking a reading. Topped up with 5-600 ml of prebioled water, so abv will hopefully.

Racked today onto a camden dry as a bone, good smell fairly clear naturally, will leave a couple of weeks before bottling.

Fine work mate, strawberry is a great wine flavour [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back