Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully going to pick this up today with the free brewing sugar. Was thinking of adding 1kg brewing sugar with 500g light spray malt or is it better to use less brewing sugar? Anyone any updates on taste? :cheers:

I cracked a bottle of this last night and to say its only been bottled for two weeks I was pretty impressed and so was the missus! Couple more weeks and this should be bang on! I used 500g light spraymalt and the free brewing sugar
:cheers:

Great stuff :thumb: I'll go that route too then, can't argue for £14! What priming rates did you use?

Put this on yesterday using 500g light spraymalt and 1kg brewing sugar, OG of 1.044 :thumb:

This is a nice cheap beer. I made it last year and while it certainly tastes more euro larger than the coopers it certainly was refreshing with some lime and tequila in. :grin:

Bottled mine today, OG 1.044, FG 1.007 and batch primed with 140g sugar. Very cloudy at the moment, hopefully clears nicely :cheers:

Thought i would give this a go too. What temps are you guys fermenting at?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fermenting; Wilkos ownbrand Cerveza
Fermenting; Turbo cider (lidl 100% applejuice)
Conditioning; Youngs brewbuddy bitter

The wilko kits all seem to come with the same (ale) yeast and instructions IME.
The instructions say 4-6 days between 18 and 20 degC.
I fermented the Wilko pilsner @ 20 degC - currently conditioning but at bottling tasted pretty good for that stage, currently doing the same with Hoppy Copper.

HTH
Stuart

I used 800gms of Light DME, and 700gms of the free Brewing sugar I got with the kit. Not much foam, but is bubbling away nicely in the airlock after 12 hours. Room temp is 20/21 so seems fine. OG reading was 1.048 :pray:

Gonna leave in Primary for 2/3 weeks, bottle, and condition for 3 inside, 2 out in the shed. will let y'all know.

Just started this one of and for the first time used a light spraymalt , the smell was gorgeous but a lesson was learnt , stir in the spraymalt slowly. I got spraymalt clumps as hard as clay that needed mashing down but on the upside it aereated the wort nicely.Bubbling away very vigoursley as i type after 12hrs. Start gravity came in at 1046 @ 23l using 1kg brewing sugar and 500g light spraymalt.This is my second one can kit as the first was a muntons pilsner and i wasn't that impressed compared to the two can kits e.g. Wherrys , Wilkos golden ale ,but hopefully the addition of spraymalt and brewing sugar as opposed to Tate and Lyle will make a difference......fingers crossed. :pray:

No, it seems to come with the same yeast as in their bitter kits, e.g the Wilko golden ale.

I bottled mine last night, which I had made with the free brewing sugar. It had started at 1046, & finished at 1008, which was lower than I had expected - anyone else seen this? Didn't taste that great at this stage, so am hoping it will improve with a couple of weeks in the warm, and then some time in the cold.

Does it need to go into a fridge to clear properly, or will the garage floor work ok? :wha:

Fireball13801 said:
No, it seems to come with the same yeast as in their bitter kits, e.g the Wilko golden ale.

I bottled mine last night, which I had made with the free brewing sugar. It had started at 1046, & finished at 1008, which was lower than I had expected - anyone else seen this? Didn't taste that great at this stage, so am hoping it will improve with a couple of weeks in the warm, and then some time in the cold.

Does it need to go into a fridge to clear properly, or will the garage floor work ok? :wha:

Hi,

I left my bottles indoors for a week after priming with 160 grammes of brewing sugar. Had them in the shed for 2 weeks and they are really clear now, ready to try one in a week. I opened a tester (half bottle) after i week and tasted a bit rank, but and it made a loud hiss so its carbonated ok. It was flat however, as I stated the bottle was half full and most of the CO2 was in the space. I used 1 litre bottles.

p.s. Mine finished round about 1.008 also

Well, tried another after 2 weeks in the tub, and 4 weeks in the bottle.

Tastes not to bad, glad I used spray malt + sugar, it has a nice feel in the mouth (oo-er) Not bad for a single kit. Probably wont try it again like, now I have a Wherry on the go. :tongue:

Mine have been in the bottle 2 months now and I have to say it's fantastic :thumb: I wasn't impressed at all after a month but it really has changed taste wise by leaving it longer in the bottle. :drink:

#UPDATE#

I agree sone,

After nearly 2 months in the bottle, I have to say this is a really nice daytime BBQ drink. No twangs or bitter after taste, very nice.

Using a light spray malt did the trick with this single kit, along with sugar of course. I recommend this for summer time, lovely. :drunk:

This brew is going down really well in our house (in fact it's disappearing far too quickly for my liking!) Even though i only used sugar. As mentioned by others goes v well with a BBQ!
Need to bottle the Wilko golden ale that's in my FV so I can start another Cerveza before I run out, and my bitter starts getting pinched!!
Planning to use either beer enhancer or a light spray malt this time to hopefully make it even better. Any other suggested improvements welcome.

I fancy having a go at Wilko's Mexican Cerveza. I've read the reviews and this beer doesn't seem to bad.
I've not brewed a beer since the 80's which was a total failure, all my bottles exploded while I was away for the day, not a pretty sight. It was a kit from Boots.

The internet wasn't really available then, so I went off the instuctions on the tin and it didn't work to good.

For a tenner It's worth a bash.

Latest posts

Back