dose anyone remember dogbolter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuggitmv

Regular.
Reaction score
some one said about dogbolter in the bar area and it made me think that it had been a long time since i had a pint of that,dose any one know a all grain recipe for dogbolter.im now on the hunt for some ha ha :pray:

Hiya

Eddie Gadd who used to work for Firkin and now owns Ramsgate Brewery gave me the recipe for a competition.

I'll dig it out for you.

Sean

Here you go - this was from the guy who won the porter comp. It is in the public domain so I guess it is ok to repost.

Brew Length: 19L

Crystal Malt 200g
Wheat Malt 130g
Roast Barley 80g
Chocolate Malt 130g
Oat Malt 95g
Pale Malt 3980g

90 mins:
=======
Goldings (6.8%AA) 40g

5mins
======
Goldings (6.8%AA) 10g

0Mins
=====
Fuggles (3.8%AA) 10g

OG: 1.054
Ex. ABV 5.2%
EBU:35
EBC:114

Water Profile: Porter

Water treatment:
CRS: 25.4ml
Calc. Chloride: 7.39g
Salt: 5g
Res.Alk: 80

Yeast: S-04.

I had a pint a month ago - it was entered in the competition at Nottingham. Nice, but the memory plays tricks. I had built it up in my mind's eye into the equivalent of brewing nectar - but to be fair, perhaps it just doesn't travel well (which is why all the Firkin pubs used to brew, I suppose) because I found it disappointing.

Thanks for the recipe though - I shall try it in a couple of weeks (Belgian Pale first).

seanipops - is Safale S-04 bog-standard Nottingham?

And the thing you really need to know about the Firkin pubs was that the brewing was extract based ;) . . . Using Muntons Cedarex 'B'

Eddie, SO-4 is not bog standard Nottingham, they are seperate strains. Nottingham is much more bland and neutral, S04 can give fruity flavours

Aleman said:
And the thing you really need to know about the Firkin pubs was that the brewing was extract based ;) . . . Using Muntons Cedarex 'B'

I think that's true for the majority, but I'm pretty sure from something David Bruce wrote that there were a handful that were full grain.

Ah, that looks fun. I remember DogBolter, at least I remember the first pint or two each evening.... Unfortunately this was during the period when I knew next to nothing about beer except that I liked drinking it.
Now I'm tempted to make some, I think a few of my friends would enjoy a flashback to our ill spent youth.

nuggitmv said:
some one said about dogbolter in the bar area and it made me think that it had been a long time since i had a pint of that,dose any one know a all grain recipe for dogbolter.im now on the hunt for some ha ha :pray:

Nuggitmv, hope this helps. I don't know a grain recipe but you can buy the kit.

Dogbolter hmmm... If you want 40 pints buy 2 of them as one kit only makes 24. I was told by using 2 lots but only making it to the 40 pint mark, would make it a little more better. You can get it from here http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item1210.htm although i remember buying it from ebay once. :drink: and get :drunk: :cheers:

Gaz.

Back