Black Sabbath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this on weds it went off like a freight train and has calmed right down now is that normal for this yeast?

I've had this with all dark/stout type brews I've done to date. Not so much an issue with my lighter coloured (pale & red) ales etc. In fact, I have a lager on now that's just ticking over at 12'c :thumb:

I now have about a 1/3 of a corny left of Black Sabbath, aged 6 months+, and it tastes quite smoky to me now. Still delicious though :drink:

So checked this today it's gone from 1066 to 1028 started on weds so that's 5 days. The krausen has died back and seems to be very little activity at all. How long would you leave it before thinking about re pitching. If you did re pitch would you use the same yeast or go for Us-05?

So checked this today it's gone from 1066 to 1028 started on weds so that's 5 days. The krausen has died back and seems to be very little activity at all. How long would you leave it before thinking about re pitching. If you did re pitch would you use the same yeast or go for Us-05?

I am sure it will almost certainly finish so i think all you need is some patience. I know how you feel though. Wheat beer yeast is very aggressive, buckled the lid of my fermentor before. Normally takes 2 weeks to finish. Never had to repitch before apart from my Mead. Good luck :thumb:

I've done this twice. First didn't go past 1020. Then had 2 bottle bombs go off and the rest I binned as everytime I opened one it went everywhere. 2nd time went to about 1014 I think so I kegged it to be on safe side. Tastes very good but I've not had it finish off properly yet that yeast. I'll be trying again though as its a really nice beer when it's ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always give my beers two weeks anyway but it just seems strange to me that it has gone from crazy activity to what looks like none at all

Good call! Will be following your brewday thread if you do it with this yeast :thumb:

Oh aye, I was going to see if anyone wanted to split the postage cost on a few sachets of the Mauribrew Weiss wasn't I? You still interested MQ?

Oh aye, I was going to see if anyone wanted to split the postage cost on a few sachets of the Mauribrew Weiss wasn't I? You still interested MQ?

I've had my head turned by liquid yeast and Beercat's idea of using WLP300 seems a like a cracking idea, which I might copy, If I ever get around to doing this beer

Sounds like a rather Jazzy yeast. I'd deffo say to give this beer a good though. It's really good!!
490c74f03ff731da6cc59c35d59f09f4.jpg

That's mine from the keg.

Sounds like a rather Jazzy yeast. I'd deffo say to give this beer a good though. It's really good!!
490c74f03ff731da6cc59c35d59f09f4.jpg

That's mine from the keg.

It's trueblue's fault he's convinced me that 'splashing out' on liquid yeast isn't really that expensive (especially if you split a vial).

How long did you condition for. Seeing as though its a stout and taking the OG into accout, it looks like a 3 monther?

Think I kegged mine about 2 1/2 month ago. Tasted very good pretty much week after doing so. But have done it for a party this weekend. That. A keg of bitter and a mega hoppy American pale ale in a corny.

Think I kegged mine about 2 1/2 month ago. Tasted very good pretty much week after doing so. But have done it for a party this weekend. That. A keg of bitter and a mega hoppy American pale ale in a corny.

Taxi to Timperley please. :lol:

Haha. Not used my corny before so it's a bit of an experiment this one. Having had a sample after a day. It's carbing up ok and tastes lovely. There's about 150g mix of Amarillo cascade and simcoe in it. Then dry hopped with 50g of each. It stinks of hops. Which is a good thing and tastes very good.

Black Sabbath
(A Heavy Metal) American Stout
The weiss yeast makes this into a very spicy stout, and the roast malts make it intense. It's my own creation. Mwahahahaha! You can sub other hops obviously. You could use a less flavoursome yeast, but that would make it into a more regular stout - which may be all you want.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.08 %
Bitterness (IBU): 48

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (81.47%)
0.200 kg Black Malt (8.15%)
0.120 kg Crystal Rye (4.89%)
0.075 kg Crystal 120 Dark (3.05%)
0.060 kg Roasted Barley (2.44%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12 g Admiral Leaf (14.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.6 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66�C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18�C with Mauribrew Weiss
Hi Clibit please forgive me for this stupid question but i want very much to make this stout as one of my first brews, and 10lt seems a right amount for one of my 1st AG goes. So could you tell me what the mash and prevail volumes where.
Really look forward to tasting this.

Back