1st (for years) brew - Brew maker IPA (mildly tweeked

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBandit

Reaction score
So, got my first brew for years on the go today. As it was first for years just wanted to start out simple and relatively cheaply.

Brewmaker IPA and instead of the 1k sugar used 500g light spray malt, 250g demerara & 250g granulated (cane not beet).

Got it all bucketed, stirred and dissolved, waited 15 mins, took OG, lidded and tucked it away in the airing cupboard. Went back to tidy up kitchen and found the yeast sachet! Lol, said it had been a while!

Back to airing cupboard, add yeast.

OG was 1044-1046 (could only do a barrel reading, lost testing tube) which if it brews out OK should give me 4.something, which is pretty much right where I like it.

Up to the brew fairies now!

IMG_20160912_133515873.jpg

What's the Japanese version of that!?!
There's always... Want to say sushi or samurai but that just comes of racist! Besides its not even a store!
Damn I drink too much!!

I would post my brew day but it's not possible from the iPhone to do it. And WAY to lazy to walk to the next room where my Mac is to make the album then link to it.
Sorry... Funny thing is I'm not even one of those millennials!!

Three days in, first look under the lid, bubbling away nicely so don't appear to have cocked anything up yet!

Day 8. Airing cupboard has sat between Min 18.6 & Max 20.9, so happy with temp.

First (post make) g reading today was 1010, not an abundance of bubbling, but I think there is still a few slowly rising.

Will leave be for another 3 or 4 days, see if I can get her to 1008 or lower.

PS. What was in the test jar tasted promising, which is the main thing!

Barrelled this on Tues afternoon, having got fg of 1006. Back into airing cupboard for secondary fermentation and moved to cool utility room to clear down on Saturday morning. Have resisted so far!

Well, had my first couple pints on saturday. First impressions - good carbonation, good head, nice lacing on the glass. Pretty clear. Taste was very drinkable but perhaps a tincy wincy little bit yeasty?

Main point though was guests liked it and were more than happy to drive k it!

In fairness I would have liked it to had longer clearing down (8 days) and also the Indian summer we've been enjoying has meant the utility room hasn't been as cool as usual for this time of year

I'll be interested to see how it clears down further, especially now the weather is cooling.

whilst I love yeasty beers, for an ipa it should be not be yeasty, so maybe a bit longer in the fv or conditioning time will help.

Tried a pint last night. No longer yeasty at all and rather nice. Made me think of Speckled Hen, but without the initial 'oily' feel that I always seem to experience with the first few mouthfuls of SH!

Back