Homegrown hop recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, please share your recipes you are using for your homegrown hops. State whether the hops are fresh or dried and if you are using any hops which are store bought. I'll post my recipes in a bit.

I’m planning a wet hopped Centennial Blonde when they’re ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m planning a wet hopped Centennial Blonde when they’re ready.

Incidentally, any suggestions for the volume adjustment needed for wet hopping?

As I have quite a few plants, some with loads of flowers, I didn't want a load of IPAs so found some other ways to make the most of the hops.

I've not added in amounts for my hops as I don't know how much I'll have yet. For bittering hops, I've just added whatever cheap and high alpha store bought hop I have. These are 25L batches with 80% efficiency.

Family Porter

I gave my uncle and cousin a cutting of my fuggles so we are gonna combine our harvests and make a porter. The idea here is to get chocolate flavours from the malts and floral flavours from the Fuggles.

3.5kg Maris otter
500g chocolate
500g oats
700g light Cara

17g Zeus
Fuggles @ f.o
Fuggles @ dry hop

US-05
--------------
Despite all his Rage, Billy Corgan's Head is Still in a Cage III - Vienna IPA

4kg Vienna
1kg lager

15g Herkules @ 60min
Fuggles & Cascade @ 10 mins
Fuggles & Cascade @ FO
Fuggles & cascade dry hop

W-34/70

This yeast is actually really good for hop character.

-----------
Email Harvester Ribs of Sorrow

This is based on another recipe of mine where I made an IPA x Wheat and it came out really well. Depending how much cascade I get I might take away the 10 min addition, or I might add one at 30 mins as well.

3kg Lager malt
3kg wheat

25g Zeus
Cascade @ 10 mins
Cascade @ FO
Cascade dry hop

WB-06 yeast

-----------
Muff'n Man

3kgs MO
500g flaked barley
400g black malt
500g Vienna

15g Zeus @ 60
Bramling X FO

S-O4

I'm not so sure about this one, I might want to save my Bramling for an IPA.

It turns out my saaz has enough flowers for one batch so I think I'll make a pils with it.

This is what I plan to brew Friday based on Graham Wheelers Exmoor Gold recipe but replacing the hops to use my homegrown first gold.

4.5k Marris otter,
32g first Gold @ 90 minutes
16g first gold @ 10 minutes
8g first gold @ 0 minutes.
So4

Hop weights are based on dried hops but I'm going to be using fresh so will multiply X 5.

Some of my hops look ready to pick today but I'm hoping they won't spoil left on the plant till Friday, but I will keep a close eye on them.

I may have to replace the bittering hops with whatever I can find in the freezer if I don't have enough ready to pick but I'd really like to keep to a single hop if possible even though I won't have accurate alpha ratings.

Any comments / critiques before Friday please?

Back