1st 2 brews are goers (I think)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazza

Reaction score
I have a Coopers Stout 21l (with 1kg brewing sugar, 500g medium spraymalt 1058 OG) which has now 24hrs in got a whopping froth on the top and a Wilko cervesa 22l (1kg brewing sugar, 500g light spraymalt 1056 OG) which has a froth on and seems to have clouded a little? Wishing my life away until bottling time!
Anyone else notice a bit of cloudiness when doing a cervesa?

Pazza

Right, done a quick check with hydrometer after 6 days. Stout is at 1026 down from 1058 and Cervesa is down to 1020 from 1056. Does this sound about right?? There were bubbles in the trial jar for both of them so I guess they are still fermenting but the krausen has died off on them both, just after reassurance that I'm still on track for 80+ bottles of victory!

Right, done a quick check with hydrometer after 6 days. Stout is at 1026 down from 1058 and Cervesa is down to 1020 from 1056. Does this sound about right?? There were bubbles in the trial jar for both of them so I guess they are still fermenting but the krausen has died off on them both, just after reassurance that I'm still on track for 80+ bottles of victory!

yes, but you should if you've seen a krausen form just leave them for 2 or 3 weeks depending on the OG. don't keep opening the fv to check. :thumb:

Not touched or even looked for a week now so couldn't resist, they are both down to 1010 from 1058 and 1056. Ready to bottle?

Test again tomorrow and if the result is the same then get bottling! In reality they're unlikely to go lower after two weeks and if it was me, personally, I'd be happy to bottle them today. Now don't forget to have a half as a sample when bottling, just for curiosity sake of course! then condition indoors for two weeks and preferably leave somewhere cool for two weeks more before quaffing away, after that time they'll taste much much better than your sample of course.
Thing to do now as well is get your next kit going soon, so you will eventually start to overlap between having stock in, and having stock replacement on the go. Slippery Slope this brewing malarkey :lol:

It'll be cloudy by the way but will clear in the bottle, be careful to not disturb the yeast cake to minimise your bottle sediment.

Cheers Poochops, think I will just bottle them tonight. Looks like the stout will be 6.2 ABV and the lager 5.9 ABV, that's before carbonation! Going to use dark muscovado sugar for the stout and Wilko carb drops for the lager. Going to do either a Russian Imperial Stout (Coopers recipe) or something from Brewferm next

Latest posts

Back