Help Please - How long can wine must sit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightingman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for helping if you can. I have been a kit wine maker and have now made the transition to real grapes. If I make the shiraz must tomorrow I presume it is just a crushing and Campden tablet job. How long can I leave it before pressing it into juice and adding the yeast????

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Mike

I assume you intend to add sulphite to the crushed grapes then leave the skins and pips but not the stems) in to extract colour and tannin. While this is the safe option, it does eliminate the chance of a malolactic fermentation, which will produce a smoother wine. If the grapes are sound and not split, there is little chance of infection without using sulphite and I don't use it as there is a certain amount of sulphur dioxide naturally present anyway, even in the finished wine. Sulphite is a known allergen, which is why commercial producers have to state 'contains sulphites' on the labels if it has been added. My wines contain less than half the amount of sulphite found in commercial wines because none has been added.

Latest posts

Back