Recipe Check....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I did post this as part of another thread over in brew days, but actually thought it deserved it's own thread.. because of the specificness of the questions

I've created a recipe on BF based on Punk IPA, as I was struggling to find one with my measurements. I based this pretty much on the DIY Dog book and a little on some online recipes.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...punk-ipa-clone

My last look at a recipe, people mentioned that the overall water looked unrealistic.. Does this look okay now?

One thing I do notice is that even though I copied the Hop Bill straight from the Brewdog book, the IBU from BF comes in at 73.71. Whereas Brewdog have it at 35. Also Brewdog have the ABV at 5.6% and BF has it at 6.8% (which is a little strong really).

I did change the malt around a little, Brewdog are using Extra Pale, and some Caramalt. I substituted for 2-row and MO pale. Due to my stock. I do have some Extra Pale Lager Malt, maybe that would be a better fit? And ditch the 2-row for some caramalt?

Brewing this tomorrow chaps, anyone have any thoughts on the high IBU and ABV? I don't want it to come out like rocket fuel :(

Could the high ABV mean I have too much malt? I thought about 5kg for 20L is about right?

EDIT: If I play around with the recipe, by increasing the volume to 23L and reducing the grain slightly, it sorts out the ABV. But the IBU is still mega high... I want it to be hoppy, but I don't want it to be too bitter.

Brewing this tomorrow chaps, anyone have any thoughts on the high IBU and ABV? I don't want it to come out like rocket fuel :(

Could the high ABV mean I have too much malt? I thought about 5kg for 20L is about right?

EDIT: If I play around with the recipe, by increasing the volume to 23L and reducing the grain slightly, it sorts out the ABV. But the IBU is still mega high... I want it to be hoppy, but I don't want it to be too bitter.
Recipe link doesn't work for me.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Apologies.. Does this one work?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/571462/punk-ipa-clone

I have been playing around with it to see if the numbers change.
Yep, works now.

I wonder if brewdog actually do a first wort hopping rather than adding at start of boil, the diydog are a bit thin on detail. This may shave a few IBUs off. Otherwise, just reduce the Chinook bittering addition until you hit the desired IBUs.

Personally I wouldn't omit the caramalt, it'll add some sweetness to counter the bitterness.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I think the recipe looks fine as-is and should be very tasty. If you're concerned about the IBU but want to keep flavour you could always move your 30 minute additions to 20 or 15. Is Punk IPA really only 35 IBU? Seems low to me.

https://www.brewdog.com/beer/headliners/punk-ipa

Says here that it's 35. But I agree, it does taste very hoppy when you drink it. Maybe they're fibbing.

It seems that the DIY Dog recipe book wants to give us some information, just not quite enough to make the beer lol.

I have been playing around with the hop timings and it doesn't seem to make too much difference. According to BF I'll be sitting at around 50-60 regardless of what I do. Maybe caramalt is the answer then, but was trying to avoid it being a darker beer. I prefer the hoppy lager style ales, where you taste hops over malt.

I've had to change a few things, but here is the final edit.

I found when measuring out for tomorrow that I didn't have enough Chinook. So I made some adjustments and added some Citra to the quantity of missing Chinook, just because they are a similar AA.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/571462/punk-ipa-clone

Getting further and further away from a PIPA Clone... but hey ho! It is what it is.

Let me know your thoughts.

Back