Brewing Saison Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I plan to brew a saison tomorrow in my Grainfather.
A couple of questions I hope can be answered.
Should I go for a pale ale or lager water profile?
I will be using Belle Saison dry yeast, what fermentation temperatures would you go for?
I have read many different opinions on this one.
Cheers. :thumb:

Ahhh...Saison is great, and as long as you keep the yeast as the star of the show you can take the style in different directions. Either water profile will work, my Saison profile is a halfway house between the two.

Fermentation temperature? This is one of those questions that'll get varied answers. Basically, cool = Clean, warm = complex, some people pitch warm, others pitch cool and ramp the temperature up. My usual method is to pitch at around 20C and let the yeast do its own thing unregulated, let it get as warm as it likes. Saison yeast will ferment very low, although sometimes at its own pace. My advice is leave fermenting for 2-3 weeks, it'll get there eventually.

Another good rule of thumb is to use equal bittering and flavour hop additions and then 3 times the amount in aroma additions, to the desired level of IBUs. Resulting in low bitterness, clean malt and complex aroma.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I usually go for a balanced sulphate:chloride ratio for a saison and aim for around 100ppm calcium.
I haven't used that particular yeast, but I'm with sadfield, pitch fairly low then ramp up the temperature.

Keep it warm and let it take its time, I have seen reports of this yeast sometimes stalling or going very slow.

I'd go with a sulphate heavy profile as hops should stick out more than malt in this style.

For the yeast start low 20s and ramp up to finish. I've not heard of Belle Saison stalling. A few of the liquid saison yeasts are notorious for that but not this one as far as I know. It should go pretty low without any trouble but it can also take a lot of heat without giving fusels if you want to try that.

First try of this beer and it's a winner, I ended up fermenting it for one week at 20c then one week at 24c, it was fully fermented done by then to 1.002. I then transferred it into the secondary onto 2 kg of frozen rhubarb and gave it another week at 22c.
Bottled and conditioned it 10 days ago and opened the first bottle this evening.
It has a lot of rhubarb flavour but not at all sour, good carbonation, nicely balanced.
My best beer so far and something you can't buy.

I must try another Saison might wait for the warmer months July would be a good time to leave one..I can control cool but not heat.

I have heard this advice a lto though pitch cool and let it just raise up.. I think I did mine 24 but going higher isn't a problem as long as you don;t mind them funky

My first saison and I will definitely brew another.
I held back on the heat this time because I thought I would ease myself into the style, will probably go higher next time. I will leave it simple without the fruit edition too.

Sounds good. There are actually a few rhubarb beers out there and they're a mixed bag. Sounds like yours hit the spot.

A basic saison is a cracking beer. Probably the most refreshing thing for a summer day. I'll make a few more when the weather picks up.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Got a 40pint Yorkshire bitter from the range, it says to use dextrose sugar 1kg can I use ordinary sugar?

First try of this beer and it's a winner, I ended up fermenting it for one week at 20c then one week at 24c, it was fully fermented done by then to 1.002. I then transferred it into the secondary onto 2 kg of frozen rhubarb and gave it another week at 22c.
Bottled and conditioned it 10 days ago and opened the first bottle this evening.
It has a lot of rhubarb flavour but not at all sour, good carbonation, nicely balanced.
My best beer so far and something you can't buy.
What was your malt bill? And what figures did you go for on the water in the end?

I'm into Saisons at the mo, got a N.W.S. kit on the go at mo, will be dry hopping this week. I pitched at about 28 and bunged it in the airing cupboard, so should be pretty funky.

Got a Saison yeast pinched out of a BBNo 01|04 on the stirplate, looking for ideas what to make with it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Summer Saison

Anonymous

Method: All Grain
Style: Saison
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 12 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 21.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.029 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Source: Homebrew Academy

Original Gravity: 1.051

Final Gravity: 1.009

ABV (standard): 5.52%

IBU (tinseth): 39.74

SRM (morey): 3.48

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable
Belgian - Pilsner 1.86 kg Pilsner 70.5%

Belgian - Wheat0.52 kg Wheat 19.7%

German - Vienna0.26 kg Vienna 9.8%

2.64 kg Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU 16 g

Styrian Goldings16 g Styrian Goldings Hops Pellet 5.5 Boil60 min

Saaz 8 g Saaz Hops Pellet 3.5 Boil 20 min

Styrian Goldings8 g Styrian Goldings Hops Pellet 5.5 Boil 20 min

Styrian Goldings8 g Styrian Goldings HopsPellet5.5Whirlpool at °C0 min

Saaz8 g Saaz Hops Leaf/Whole 3.5 Whirlpool at °C0 min

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time ----64 C--Starting Mash Thickness: 2.9 L/kg
Yeast
Danstar - Belle Saison Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
80% Flocculation:
Low Optimum Temp:
17.2 - 23.9 °C Starter:
No Fermentation Temp:
19 °C Pitch Rate:
-

My FG ended up at 1.002 before rhubarb edition, which is dry but the it does not lack body.

As for water I just used the 'old forum water calculator' and added CRS as shown but the other editions were basically half of what was recommended for an IPA.
I have hard water.

Cheers dude. I like the idea of the rhubarb, will definitely consider it for an upcoming brew. Need to get me some Pilsner malt, I do seem to have an excess of Maris otter at the moment tho lol.

Talking of pilsner malt, anyone know the difference between Pilsner Malt and Bohemian Pilsner Malt?

What was your malt bill? And what figures did you go for on the water in the end?

I'm into Saisons at the mo, got a N.W.S. kit on the go at mo, will be dry hopping this week. I pitched at about 28 and bunged it in the airing cupboard, so should be pretty funky.

Got a Saison yeast pinched out of a BBNo 01|04 on the stirplate, looking for ideas what to make with it.

Bbno use wyeast French saison so any recipe with that in.

Bbno use wyeast French saison so any recipe with that in.

That's good to know. I'm about to do my 3rd grow up on the stirplate, there's already loads of yeast in there. Be able to brew a Bach and save some for next time. :-)

Latest posts

Back