Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't escape the sense that my 5L AG brew smells a bit............well.............fishy.

:doh:

I thought that with my first go. Maybe not fishy, but a stronger smell to the kit brews I'd done. I thought it was off. Turned out fine though.
AG2 has caught me out by fermenting to target (1055 down to 1013) in 4 days. It's almost clear as well.
I was going to dry hop with simcoe, but think it's to late now. Tastes nice though. Plenty of flavour.

You can. By making a concentrated wort and diluting in the FV. E.g. I can make a full 23L brew usng my 15L pot as long as it's 1.040 OG or lower (If I want to make a higher OG I just do a shorter brew length)

Is this method simply doubling the grain, hops, protofloc tab, then add cold water to fv with rest of the boiled wort?
In my case I'd like it to be around 1050 OG. So I should just add enough cold water to bring it to that?

Edit
Found the info now. Thanks.

Well, it's been in the shed for 8 or more weeks and I've tried a bottle.

Firstly, she is a lively beast, opening the bottle resulted in a lot of bubble over spill.

Is this an over carb issue?

Beer itself, we'll it's a bit cloudy. I'm guessing the temp hasn't been that cold in my shed to clear it.

Taste wise... Well it's not as hoppy as I imagined, but it tasted not too bad. I have to say it's a lot better than the kits I've made so far.

Tell me if I'm wrong, bit I find there is a bit of an odd taste to kits. They are perfectly drinkable but there is a strange taste there. I've done two kits, both turned out fine and enjoyable, but both had that strange taste.

This on the other hand has no problems with odd tastes and is a very clean beer. The closer I've got to the bottom of the glass the better it is :-)

Defo ain't going back to kits now.

All I have to worry about now is opening the mini keg of the stuff next weekend!!!

Tell me if I'm wrong, bit I find there is a bit of an odd taste to kits. They are perfectly drinkable but there is a strange taste there.I've done two kits, both turned out fine and enjoyable, but both had that strange taste.

That will be the home brew twang you see members post about often, have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68929

Well, it's been in the shed for 8 or more weeks and I've tried a bottle.

Firstly, she is a lively beast, opening the bottle resulted in a lot of bubble over spill.

Is this an over carb issue?

Beer itself, we'll it's a bit cloudy. I'm guessing the temp hasn't been that cold in my shed to clear it.

Taste wise... Well it's not as hoppy as I imagined, but it tasted not too bad. I have to say it's a lot better than the kits I've made so far.

Tell me if I'm wrong, bit I find there is a bit of an odd taste to kits. They are perfectly drinkable but there is a strange taste there. I've done two kits, both turned out fine and enjoyable, but both had that strange taste.

This on the other hand has no problems with odd tastes and is a very clean beer. The closer I've got to the bottom of the glass the better it is :-)

Defo ain't going back to kits now.

All I have to worry about now is opening the mini keg of the stuff next weekend!!!
8 weeks! You did well. Only managed a couple of weeks myself before my first taste. Mine was clear though, so is my second go which is 6 days into carbonating at the moment. I suppose it depends on what you're making.

I used 1/2 teaspoon plain white sugar per 500ml bottle and this was fine for me, a nice hiss on opening but no frothing out. Dit it seem over carbonated when drinking?

Totally get what you mean about the clean taste compared to kits. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking kits and have an American IPA on at the moment that seems promising.
But like yourself having tasted AG I think that'll be it for me.

That will be the home brew twang you see members post about often, have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68929

I had a wherry the other night, along side a couple of partial mash beers. it was about 8 months old, and id used up some specialty grains (cold steeped) at the time. I have to say this beer was smooth as. it put the other too in the shade. it was just a shame it was the last one. the flavours were bouncing around all over the place, and there was certainly no strange taste or 'twang'.
all ill say is, with some extra grains (costing pence when used sparingly) added to the premium kits (I used amber/crystal and a pinch of roasted barley) and along with a good few months conditioning, these beers can be virtually impossible to work out over AG or kit IMO anyway.
ill prob get another one going as I feel ifi can make a kit in an hour and have the same quality of beer ina few months time post summer (with cold steeped grains) then its worth the time (cant really add 'expense' doaw!):lol:

Last edited:
I had a wherry the other night, along side a couple of partial mash beers. it was about 8 months old, and id used up some specialty grains (cold steeped) at the time. I have to say this beer was smooth as. it put the other too in the shade. it was just a shame it was the last one. the flavours were bouncing around all over the place, and there was certainly no strange taste or 'twang'.
all ill say is, with some extra grains (costing pence when used sparingly) added to the premium kits (I used amber/crystal and a pinch of roasted barley) and along with a good few months conditioning, these beers can be virtually impossible to work out over AG or kit IMO anyway.
ill prob get another one going as I feel ifi can make a kit in an hour and have the same quality of beer ina few months time post summer (with cold steeped grains) then its worth the time (cant really add 'expense' doaw!):lol:
Funny that. My first kit was a woodfordes nelsons revenge. That was smooth as silk in the pressure barrel after only a few weeks. It's the only kit I've done that hasn't had a dry hop. I wonder if what I'm picking up is bitterness from the dry hop?

I used 1/2 teaspoon plain white sugar per 500ml bottle and this was fine for me, a nice hiss on opening but no frothing out. Dit it seem over carbonated when drinking?

It was a little fizzy, but more than acceptable.

I carbed by dissolving the sugar in a pan, then syphon the booze I to that.

I looked up on line how much sugar 10l needed and used that much, but now I think about it, I got 8 and a bit litres out, with the gunk at the bottom excluded, I guess I put a small amount too much in.

Hmm, could be a few things. There is some of my tap water in there, which may cause it. But I'm careful with most of the other bits. I'll buy more bottled water from now on.

Its not a horrible taste, but it's there.

Update: the AG beer didn't have that taste at all

Blimey, guys.

I'm mashing now.

I used my six litre pot to get the mash going. I couldn't boil it in that pot alone, so brought into play a slightly smaller vessel.

Added some Willamette hops at start of boil, ready to add a few more towards the end. Fv sterilised and ready to go. Going to use some crossmyloof real ale yeast.

Sorry for hogging the thread.

I think I overpitched a bit.

No krausen whatsoever.

???

clarifying, perhaps

In the excitement I forgot to measure OG
doh.gif

Reads as 1.022 now.

I'm not sure what it is doing. Sample tasted quite nice....I can imagine it clear & cold.

But......no krausen?Just a bit of scum at the edges.

Leave it a week?

In the excitement I forgot to measure OG
doh.gif

Reads as 1.022 now.

I'm not sure what it is doing. Sample tasted quite nice....I can imagine it clear & cold.

But......no krausen?Just a bit of scum at the edges.

Leave it a week?

Whilst the OG is important if you want to know the ABV% its not as important as the FG. The FG is the only way you can know for certain that it's finished fermetning by taking 3 gravity readings over 3 days that should all hopefully bete same. There's been loads of times I haven't bothered taking the OG and just assumed the dilution calulator I use is correct (it usually is).
At 1.022 I defiantly dont think it's finished. Leave it another week

with a starting BRIX of 18 the final BRIX is around 10

my last brew was original BRIX 10.2 final BRIX 4.0

Right - I have my 15l pot.
I have my Bag.
I have the sieve.
I'm ordering ingredients today.
Question - my FV is a 25l, I'm making the 10l version, will it be ok fermenting in a 25l bucket ?
Don't really want to have to order a 15l bucket just yet. Worried there will be too much air in there if not.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right - I have my 15l pot.
I have my Bag.
I have the sieve.
I'm ordering ingredients today.
Question - my FV is a 25l, I'm making the 10l version, will it be ok fermenting in a 25l bucket ?
Don't really want to have to order a 15l bucket just yet. Worried there will be too much air in there if not.?

My first AG was 5Ltrs in a 25Ltr FV and it was fine. Bought a 10Ltr FV now, for ease of use and so I can stack on top of the bigger FVs.

Sorry - another question. Ordering the malt in big batches is obviously more cost effective .
How long does it store for ?

Yup, no worries regarding batch size in FV.
Crushed grain is supposed not to last as long as uncrushed,however some of mine is crushed and have had it some time and i aint slinging it away:lol:.
I crush my own now.

Latest posts

Back