Acid Attacks!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So our esteemed politicians are debating the "problem" in parliament tomorrow. One of those politicians was on R4 on Friday and suggested battery acid should only be sold to garages, drain unblocker to plumbers etc. so no members of the public have access to acid. I would love to tell that **** for brains I have been buying, using and sensibly storing both sulphuric and hydrochloric acids for years to treat my brewing water. Other homebrewers use CRS a blend of acids, is that going to be banned as well? Do they honestly think restricting sales will stop the scrots on the streets? Will they restrict metal knives and make us eat with plastic ones? Tackle crime with better policing, better education and better jobs but that all cost money so it is easier to ban things that most people will use correctly but they can't see it will not cure the problem.

Re acid as an offensive weapon:

Offensive Weapons

Possessing an offensive weapon in a public place is an offence contrary to section 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953.

What is an offensive weapon in law

The law recognises three categories of offensive weapon:

1. those where objects are made for use for causing injury to the person. This is legally classified as an ‘offensive weapon per se’; examples could be, knives (‘flick’ knives, kitchen knives, butterfly knives), pepper sprays, knuckledusters, nunchucks, etc
  2. those where objects are adapted for such a purpose (i.e. to cause injury to the person). This covers items that would otherwise be incapable of causing injury but have been changed so that they now can e.g. – a sock containing a snooker ball, a sharpened stick or a sharpened snooker cue, a water pistol filled with acid, etc
  3. those where objects are not so made or adapted, but carried with the intention of causing injury to the person- e.g. – a cup of bleach carried with the intent of throwing into someone’s face to cause injury, sharpened nail scissors, a baseball bat, etc

http://www.lawtonslaw.co.uk/resources/weapons/

So our esteemed politicians are debating the "problem" in parliament tomorrow. One of those politicians was on R4 on Friday and suggested battery acid should only be sold to garages, drain unblocker to plumbers etc. so no members of the public have access to acid. I would love to tell that **** for brains I have been buying, using and sensibly storing both sulphuric and hydrochloric acids for years to treat my brewing water. Other homebrewers use CRS a blend of acids, is that going to be banned as well? Do they honestly think restricting sales will stop the scrots on the streets? Will they restrict metal knives and make us eat with plastic ones? Tackle crime with better policing, better education and better jobs but that all cost money so it is easier to ban things that most people will use correctly but they can't see it will not cure the problem.

Radical thought: how about not repeatedly cutting police budgets? Maybe then they could do their job more effectively?

But no, we can't have that. Cutting public services is basically the Tories raison d'etre these days.

Radical thought: how about not repeatedly cutting police budgets? Maybe then they could do their job more effectively?

But no, we can't have that. Cutting public services is basically the Tories raison d'etre these days.

Yep life is made to easy for the criminals.

Latest from the BBC.

Eight people were taken to hospital after an "unknown substance" was sprayed through the window of a house.

A man wearing dark clothing sprayed the substance into a property on Skydmore Path in Slough before running away.

The victims - six females and two males ranging in age from 12 to 40 - were taken to hospital following the attack just after 17:00 BST on Sunday.

Thames Valley Police said it was not an acid attack.

South Central paramedics treated the victims for a range of issues, including breathing difficulties and vomiting.

They were taken to Wexham Park hospital in Berkshire as a precaution but did not suffer any serious injuries.

Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service also attended the scene.

The police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

BBC.

I just watched this video on the subject, according to there figures 60% of the attacks are gang related. I would comment more but I just got up at 5am having not beenable to sleep at all.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EscjYGHKHxM[/ame]

WTF is wrong with peoople -

A lone paramedic had a substance thrown on to her face, neck and chest while answering a 999 call.

She was on her way to a patient when she was flagged down by three men who appeared to be in distress in Tottenham Hale, north London.

The 32-year-old stopped to help but they pulled bandanas over their faces before one threw liquid through her window.

She was taken to hospital after the attack on 16 July but later discharged.

A Met Police spokesman said the substance was non-corrosive but it is investigating the incident.

Since 2010, there have been more than 1,800 reports of attacks involving corrosive fluids in the capital. Last year, it was used in 458 crimes, compared to 261 in 2015, according to Met Police figures.

Premeditated

The paramedic, who did not want to be named, was on her way to help a man suffering from chest pains when she was targeted in the early hours.

"It was terrifying. This was so cowardly," she said.

"It is my job to help people. I was on my way to help a patient and I stopped because I am caring and I thought they needed my help.

"They have taken away my trust.

"What they've done is horrific in so many ways. It was premeditated and it delayed a patient getting treatment."

She said the attack took a paramedic off the road that night.

"And yet if one my attackers were hurt, I would still treat them because that is the job," she added.

The substance caused irritation to her face, neck and chest. The man who threw it was wearing latex gloves.

London Ambulance Service is reminding its staff of the need to be cautious when flagged down by anyone requesting help or assistance.

BBC.

Latest posts

Back