Beer Advent Calendar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
My wife has been very kind this year and has bought my a beer advent calendar from Beer Hawk; including 24 different craft beers, two glasses and a bottle opener.

I thought it would be a good idea to review each of them on here. I'll start tonight when I get home...where I have a Saison waiting for me.

*Watch this space*

gggggggggg.jpg

Lucky man; my Missus was going to get me one but dealing with Beerhawk was a bit of a nightmare. I've used them since Day 1 and they were good, but as they've grown the service has slipped a bit. I had one order when a box was totally destroyed. I had to chase them over and over again to get it replaced.

I pointed her at the site to sort out the advent calendar this year, plus a list of other things to order. After numerous difficulties with the website she gave up and let me take over. I kept finding the site flaky so gave up too. I fired off an email asking what was wrong with the site. It took a week to get a reply telling me pretty much to just endure it.

I also have a mate that had to cancel his order for one when the whole process seemed to come off the rails. Shame really, as their choice is good.

I am jealous, because I really wanted one!

Great idea to review them all!! I wanted one but couldn't poersuade SWMBO to part with £75, seeing as I got her a Cadbury calendar (£4):whistle: I have heard there's not many dark beers in there; which is fine as I love hoppy IPA's now, but as it's Xmas...

Great idea to review them all!! I wanted one but couldn't persuade SWMBO to part with ���£75, seeing as I got her a Cadbury calendar (���£4):whistle:

Ha ha, always worth a try I suppose, you might have caught her with her guard down..........:lol:

My misses also got me one of those. I'll watch this thread eagerly to compare notes. I'm going to do quick video reviews for my facebook page :)

My missis said she was going to get her one until I said not to spend that sort of money on it.
She was happy to spend £75 on one but moans when I spend £50 on a night out.

Lucky man; my Missus was going to get me one but dealing with Beerhawk was a bit of a nightmare. I've used them since Day 1 and they were good, but as they've grown the service has slipped a bit. I had one order when a box was totally destroyed. I had to chase them over and over again to get it replaced.

I pointed her at the site to sort out the advent calendar this year, plus a list of other things to order. After numerous difficulties with the website she gave up and let me take over. I kept finding the site flaky so gave up too. I fired off an email asking what was wrong with the site. It took a week to get a reply telling me pretty much to just endure it.

I also have a mate that had to cancel his order for one when the whole process seemed to come off the rails. Shame really, as their choice is good.

I am jealous, because I really wanted one!

A guy at work ordered one of the calendars and 30 bottles of beer for me and him to share...the calendar turned up but the beers didn't and the couriers are adamant there was only 1 package. Not exactly what you expect when you spend a considerable amount of money with them.

Beer Review 1:

Brewery: Two Road; Beer Name: Worker's Comp; Style: Saison; Packaging: Bottle; Volume: 355ml ABV: 4.8%;
Date Tasted: 01/12/2016

I used the notes book provided with the calendar, which is a little sad but oh well:

Appearance: Deep gold colour, hazy, no head (but this could be down to glass or the way it was poured) 2/3
Aroma: Tangerine, bit of spice 8/12
Flavour: Tasted grapefruit and pepper flavours...enjoyably bitter 15/20
Mouthfeel: Quite highly carbonated and refreshing 4/5
Overall: Nice refreshing beer, good for session 7/10
Total Score: 36/50

20161201_203207.jpg

Beer Review 1:

Brewery: Two Road; Beer Name: Worker's Comp; Style: Saison; Packaging: Bottle; Volume: 355ml ABV: 4.8%;
Date Tasted: 01/12/2016

I used the notes book provided with the calendar, which is a little sad but oh well:

Appearance: Deep gold colour, hazy, no head (but this could be down to glass or the way it was poured) 2/3
Aroma: Tangerine, bit of spice 8/12
Flavour: Tasted grapefruit and pepper flavours...enjoyably bitter 15/20
Mouthfeel: Quite highly carbonated and refreshing 4/5
Overall: Nice refreshing beer, good for session 7/10
Total Score: 36/50

Interesting. I didn't get much of the pepper notes, but certainly got those citrus orange peel notes. I feel it would be an awesome beer for a hot summers day.

Also i think the thistle glass doesn't do much for the head of a beer. I've had a few in there and i get little head which dissipates quickly.

Interesting. I didn't get much of the pepper notes, but certainly got those citrus orange peel notes. I feel it would be an awesome beer for a hot summers day.

Also i think the thistle glass doesn't do much for the head of a beer. I've had a few in there and i get little head which dissipates quickly.

I really enjoyed it. It's the second time I've had a saison and I've enjoyed them both. It's a shame that you don't often see them in this country.

Beer Review 2:

Brewery: Harbour; Beer Name: Little Rock; Style: IPA; Packaging: Can; Volume: 330ml; ABV: 5.5%
Date tasted: 02/12/2016

Appearance: Deep amber, opaque, reasonable head 3/3
Aroma: Hoppy, piney, fairly citrus 7/12
Flavour: Bitter, resiny, orange and grapefruit after tastes. Improves when a little warmer...around 10°C 16/20
Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, big bodied, oily 3/5
Overall: initially wasn't as in your face as other IPA's. However, once it warmed up a bit the flavours really came through. Really enjoyed it and would have it again. 6/10
Total: 35/50

20161202_202948.jpg

Beer Review number 3:

Brewery: Magic Rock; Beer Name: Highwire Grapefruit; Style: Grapefruit Pale Ale; Packaging: Can; Size: 330ml; ABV: 5.5%
Date tasted: 03/12/2016

Appearance: Pale gold, little head, hazy 2/3

Aroma: Strong Grapefruit 7/12

Flavour: Lovely, highly bitter, obviously Grapefruit, tastes like lilt 18/20

Mouthfeel: refreshing, highly carbonated, light bodied 4/5

Overall: Fantastic, recommend for anyone, loved the bitterness 8/10

Total: 39/50

IMG_20161203_133009.jpg

Beer Review number 4:

Brewery: Blue Point; Beer Name: Hoptical Illusion; Style: East Coast IPA; Packaging: Bottle; Size: 330ml; ABV: 7%
Date tasted: 04/12/2016

Appearance: Pale amber, transparent? head doesn't last 2/3

Aroma: very subtle, pine 6/12

Flavour: alcohol, not much in the way of hops flavour, really unpleasant aftertaste...almost like a liquorice flavour 5/20

Mouthfeel: lightly carbonated, oily, heavy 2/5

Overall: very disappointed, next to no nice flavour, wouldn't have it again or recommended to anybody 4/10

Total: 19/50

20161204_180742.jpg

Beer Review number 5:

Brewery: Elysian; Beer Name: The immortal IPA; Style: IPA; Packaging: Bottle; Size: 330ml; ABV: 6.3%; Date tasted: 05/12/2016

Appearance: Pale amber, transparent, slight head which quickly dissipates 2/3

Aroma: Peachey 7/12

Flavour: Bitter, slight grape taste 16/20

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation, refreshingly moreish, slightly heavy 3/5

Overall: Lovely beer, not sessionable but nice for one or two. Would have again and recommend 7/10

Beer Review number 5:

Brewery: Elysian; Beer Name: The immortal IPA; Style: IPA; Packaging: Bottle; Size: 330ml; ABV: 6.3%; Date tasted: 05/12/2016

Appearance: Pale amber, transparent, slight head which quickly dissipates 2/3

Aroma: Peachey 7/12

Flavour: Bitter, slight grape taste 16/20

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation, refreshingly moreish, slightly heavy 3/5

Overall: Lovely beer, not sessionable but nice for one or two. Would have again and recommend 7/10

Now then, this is the first difference. I got a bottle of Modeus IPA v2 from Siren Craft behind door number 5. Bloody amazing beer it was too. I wonder if you'll get that later and i'll get this one later.

I got one of these from the better half and have been following this thread with interest as I have been abroad until today.
I started to open the doors today and have found that, despite no damage to the packaging at all, the inside holders are screwed up to the extent that I can only actually retrieve 5 of the 9 beers, the rest appear to have fallen down the back. In fact the only reason I got 5 is because I scraped my hand for one bottle and the cans held in place despite the inside being screwed up.
To say I am ****** off after the wife spent £75 quid on it as it isn't fit for purpose doesn't begin to describe it. The whole point of it being an advent calendar is ruined (along with chuckling away what was probably a premium paid on top of the beer value as well), if I had wanted to just buy a box of beer I could have paid less and chosen what I wanted.
Let's see if they attempt to make good when I speak to them tomorrow or they will be picking it up as not fit for purpose and lose mine and other friends of mine business for good.
The annoying thing is that I inspected the outside really carefully and from what I can see from the open doors, it appears to have been screwed up in the assembly before it was packed.

Beer Review number 6:

Brewery: Ilkley Brewery; Beer Name: Dinner Ale; Style: Pale table beer; Packaging: Bottle; Size: 330ml; ABV: 3.3%; Date tasted: 08/12/16

Appearance: Pale gold, slightly hazy, no head 2/3

Aroma: Citrus, lemon, Grapefruit 6/12

Flavour: Grapefruit, bitter, slight Caramel aftertaste 15/20

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation, crisp, easy drinking 4/5

Overall: surprisingly nice, low ABV but high flavour 7/10

Total: 34/50

IMG_20161206_185609.jpg

Beer Review number 7

Brewery: Leffe; Beer Name: Blonde; Style: Trappiste; Packaging: Bottle; Size: 330ml; ABV: 6.6%; Date tasted: 07/12/16

Appearance: Deep gold, transparent, inviting 3/3

Aroma: cloves, spices 8/12

Flavour: Little sweet, malty, complex spicy aftertaste 16/20

Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing, average carbonation 3/5

Overall: spicy, enjoyable, delights the palate 8/10

Total: 38/50

20161207_182533.jpg

Latest posts

Back