Bramling Cross/Goldings ESB type thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven945

Reaction score
As much as I like the stupidly hopped American IPAs, or the very strong Belgian dubbels or what have you, I do enjoy a nice bitter every now and then. I'd quite like to try something, vaguely along the lines of a fullers ESB, and I'd also quite like to try using Bramling Cross hops. I know some people love them and some people hate them, but descriptions that I've read sound tasty.

I've thrown this together, using Goldings as well because I've got them in the freezer. I was planning on using WLP028 Edinburgh Ale because I've got a jar harvested from a brew a month or so back. I know it wouldn't give any fruitiness from the yeast that's usual for the style, but does it sound like it could work? I'd rather save �£7 and use what I've already got, but I can buy more yeast if wiser people than I suggest it's worth it.

12 litre batch.

2.2kg pale malt (87%)
150g dark crystal (6%)
150g torrified wheat (6%)
30g black malt (1.2%)

20g Goldings @ 60 minutes
10g Goldings @ 20 minutes
20g Bramling Cross @ 20 minutes
10g Goldings @ 5 minutes
20g Bramling Cross @ 5 minutes

WLP028
Beersmith estimates 1048 OG and 1012 FG and 4.64% ABV mashing at 66.7ºC.

I did have more dark crystal, but every recipe critique seems to say cut back on crystal in almost all situations! I've put the touch of black malt in just for a bit of extra colour. Anything on there that looks ridiculous?

I have done GH's Cornish Tin Miner's Ale using Bramling Cross and First Gold and that turned out great. Recipe looks a bit heavy hop-wise for 12L, but since that is the sort of beer you like, it looks good to me.

Some more digging made me agree I might have gone too heavy on the hops. I'll probably reduce the later hop additions (everything but the initial bittering) by a third. Thanks!

Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.
Don't worry about getting it too hoppy; hop presence fades with time and too hoppy in Jan will be great in April or May.

I did a brew bittered with Challenger and then remaider Bramling X,came out a decent drink. Bramling X not to everyone's taste i think!

I wish I could get myself one of the Brewdog Bramling Cross single hop beers, but they're long gone. My logic is that I'm pairing each addition with goldings so it *shouldn't* overpower things quite so much. But my thinking may be way off!

I love Bramling Cross, several of my local breweries use it in both dark and light beers. Look out for Wye Valley Butty Bach in your local supermarker, it's a pale ale with Bramling Cross and Goldings.
http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/p...aspx?pid=2b9e0b1e-faa9-4a71-8d0e-0b6ef1d339e0

I recently tried to replicate it and here's the hop bill I used for a 13L brew. It came out nice but a little too strong tasting for my liking, so I'd dial back the BC late hop additions next time.

Hop Bill - 13L brew
----------------
19.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
10.0 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
10.0 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.8 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.8 g/L)

Looking at your recipe, I'd probably halve that last BC addition to 10g rather than 20g, BC is nice but I think needs to be subtly added - it's not like a US hop that you can keep adding more and more.

My other local brewery is Hillside, they produce a Dark Mild with BC which again I attempted to replicate, this turned out lovely
https://www.hillsidebrewery.com/product/over-the-hill/

Hop Bill- 12L brew
----------------
16.7 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
7.8 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
10.0 g Bramling Cross Pellet (5.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.8 g/L)

Great, thanks for your help. I'll definitely tone down that latter one to 10g then. Probably the earlier one too. I can always up it in a future brew.

Getting a Brixton Porter on the go in the morning,Challenger and Bramling X in that one,although at low levels.:thumb:

I brewed this on Saturday, and the smell coming from the FV is definitely blackcurrant! I'm glad I cut the BX additions to 10g each, otherwise I'm sure it would be overpowering. Kraussen is high and very fluffy, and I'm trying to keep the temperature down to 19°c, which has been pretty successful so far. Sampling time on Friday, which will be after almost a week.

I had an all Bramling X beer on saturday(similar to my own brew) at a beer festival-
still couldn't say ahhhhhhhhhh blackcurrant!!!!:lol:

I had an all Bramling X beer on saturday(similar to my own brew) at a beer festival-
still couldn't say ahhhhhhhhhh blackcurrant!!!!

Neither could I tell the blackcurrants in Bramlings. But you could always add a Ribena top if you were desperate for it.:lol:

I've not got blackcurrant either. Just very woody. Nice though.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I made a single hop bramling cross bitter nearly a year ago, I couldn't taste or smell blackcurrant but someone who had no idea what was in it and was not generally a beer drinker had one taste and immediately said blackcurrant.

Latest posts

Back