AG#9 Hopping Whore (Hopping Hare Clone)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
Using the recipe from http://www.hopandgrain.com/recipeSearch.aspx?name=Hopping Hare
Code:
Grains
3.93kg Crisp Maris Otter
310g Pale Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
Hops
30g First Gold 8.11% - 60 mins
30g Cascade 6.6% - 10 mins
30g East Kent Goldings 5.49% - 10 mins
30g Cascade 6.6% - flameout
30g East Kent Goldings 5.49% - flameout
Additions
0.5 protofloc tablet - 10 mins
0.5 campden tablet
14.7ml CRS
4g gypsum in mash
8g gypsum in boiler
2g table salt in boiler
2g epsom in boiler
4g calcium chloride in boiler

60 minute mash at 66C
60 minute boil

Using yeast obtained from a local brewery, cultured up from a petri dish

Grain shot:
IMAG0398.jpg

HLT coming up to temp:
IMAG0399.jpg

Strike temp:
IMAG0400.jpg

Doughed in:
IMAG0401.jpg

Had to add another approximately 1.5l of strike water to the mash as I obviously didn't strike high enough. I always struggle with this. Got it up to 66C then sealed up the tun and sat down for an hour.

More pics to follow.

When you think about it... maybe but what's 6 months if it's in a dark cupboard. Then do another brew for the comp and put the two up against each other... :hmm:

The Goatreich said:
Not a bad idea at all. I guess it only means keeping one bottle aside for each brew. How many are we allowed to enter?

Has many as you like, I hope to have a Trappist type ready plus a IPA will have to see how W**k pans out.

Lost just over 1 degree on a 60 minute mash, annoying.
IMAG0403.jpg

My state of the art sparge tool.
IMAG0404.jpg

Slow sparge.
IMAG0406.jpg

Suspicious looking white powder being added to boil.
IMAG0407.jpg

First Gold hops in.
IMAG0408.jpg

More pics to follow.

More hops
IMAG0409.jpg

Recirculating wort during cooling
IMAG0410.jpg

OG 1.045, and very clear wort
IMAG0411.jpg

Collected 21.5l, just 1.5l short of the target 23l, which I can live with.
IMAG0412.jpg

Yeast has been pitched, and I think I'll store this one under the stairs now the nights are starting to get colder.

It's dropped two points, to 1028. This could be the slowest ferment in history. I've given it a gentle stir and wrapped the sleeping bag tight around it. I'll fashion a water bath tomorrow to try and get it to kick off again. The sample tasted bloody nice though, albeit sweet.

I was under the impression that unless the wort is below 28c, you could cause hot side aeration recirculating like that. Could be wrong tho.

robsan77 said:
I was under the impression that unless the wort is below 28c, you could cause hot side aeration recirculating like that. Could be wrong tho.

I think our regular team of Myth Busters busted that one here :lol: :lol:

Slowest ferment EVER! I've had it in a water bath since Monday and it started trundling along again. Just measured the SG and it's still at 1020. Bleedin' nora, I was hoping to rack this off to secondary last weekend, looks like it might be the end of next week now!

Ho hum.

Back