Oatmeal stout - thoughts welcome please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't delve too deeply at the time as I was going for the bazooka type set up. I did buy some from Amazon but it was only available in fairly small sections if I remember right. And although it seems bad for getting a stuck sparge, it also lets quite a bit of grain material through.

I'll get the braid trialled out at the weekend and hopefully that'll improve things (wouldn't be hard)

15mm x 15mm x 1000mm 3.69 from screwfix. I reckon that'll do for the mash tun and boiler!

15mm x 15mm x 1000mm 3.69 from screwfix. I reckon that'll do for the mash tun and boiler!

No idea how it'll work as a hop filter but as you know I find it amazing as a grain filter! Dunno why it hasn't occured to me to try it in the boiler - some inaudible inner voice must be telling me it's not gonna work. Either that or I've got some sort of blind spot! Let us know how it goes if you beat me to it... I've got a spare length of braid lying around so I'll give it a whirl in the boiler next brewday ( 10 days away!).

Will do! Got a brew planned in for the weekend. Have to work it in round Christmas trees etc so Not sure which day yet.

It's going to be a ghost ship type clone I seen on malt Miller. I'm adjusting that recipe to suit what grains I have left plus the addition of some flaked barley. It's fairly hoppy (120g to the boiler) so it'll be a decent enough test for it.

Does this just fit on back of the ball valve?
Am i right in thinking pull the rubber out and crimp the end?

This particular one will compression fit on to 15mm pipe. In my setup the 15mm pipe pushes in to the tank connector. It's not fixed or anything but it pushes in and stays.

I think that's about all that's required yeah.

I put 200g rice hulls in the bottom of the mash tun when doing an oatmeal stout after my first one had a stuck sparge

No idea how it'll work as a hop filter but as you know I find it amazing as a grain filter! Dunno why it hasn't occured to me to try it in the boiler - some inaudible inner voice must be telling me it's not gonna work. Either that or I've got some sort of blind spot! Let us know how it goes if you beat me to it... I've got a spare length of braid lying around so I'll give it a whirl in the boiler next brewday ( 10 days away!).

Worked an absolute treat in the mash tun, I see what you mean about it being hard not to sparge too fast. I probably shortened it by about 20 minutes. I couldnt give a fiddlers, I hit my numbers and it was the smoothest brew day yet....

Until draining the boiler. It didn't work very well. Or it worked fantastically well to the point where it wouldn't allow any wort out. Whatever way you want to look at it.

It lay haphazardly on the bottom and I can't whirlpool. If it was secured to the side somehow with a really good whirlpool, that might make it better. So it's back to the sieve or a bit of googling to find something reliable.

Worked an absolute treat in the mash tun..

Glad for you! My gut feeling about not being so good as a hopback was right - oh well. I've messed around with all manner of stuff to get that right, and whilst I think there's room for improvement (as ever) the best, and by far the simplest I've found is nothing more than a scrunched-up stainless steel scouring pad* inserted into the bore of the boiler tap. If you haven't tried it, have a go - you might be very surprised.
*Those shiny, soap-free, coarse-cut balls of SS, not brillo pads or anything like that!

Glad for you! My gut feeling about not being so good as a hopback was right - oh well. I've messed around with all manner of stuff to get that right, and whilst I think there's room for improvement (as ever) the best, and by far the simplest I've found is nothing more than a scrunched-up stainless steel scouring pad* inserted into the bore of the boiler tap. If you haven't tried it, have a go - you might be very surprised.
*Those shiny, soap-free, coarse-cut balls of SS, not brillo pads or anything like that!

I've seen that talked about on a couple of sites but tbh I didn't have much confidence in it working. I shall give it a try next time. Cheers!

Bottled this one a couple of nights ago. Smells good and very chocolatey/roastedy. Looking forward to having a try.

Despite the high mash temperature it got down to 1.007. That was fairly cool after crashing so even if I call it 1.010 it's still a fairly low fg. I can't imagine any residual sugars would get much chance to shine through the bitterness from the chocolate and roasted barley judging by the smell. I'll update when I get a proper taste.

Got this one bottled a little over a week ago and cracked a sampler last night. I was amazed at how good it was. Really tasty drink, oaty, chocolatey, malty, nice creamy body and head. I can see it getting demolished fairly quickly!

Thanks again for all the help and advice! Much appreciated!

Back