What's the most you've paid for a beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
The Cloudwater thread got me wondering about beer prices and thinking of what I've paid over the years, so just wondering what's the most expensive beer you bought?

For me it was probably £15 for a bottle of oak aged La Trappe batch 21 in a bar in Belfast. Certainly overpriced, but I didn't mind so much because it was a fantastic beer!

In a bar it's probably some Belgian beer, I'd guess a Gueze, but those were large bottles shared with the table so don't count. I paid £9 for half a pint of BORIS the Crusher Russian Imperial Stout in a bar in London, and it was very good. Most I've spent in a shop was probably £8 for a 100% brett black IPA imported from America. It was disgusting, what a waste of money.

Most in a bottle shop - 12 euros for a Westvleteren 12. Lovely beer, probably worth £3-4 at the most though. Glad I tried it though, just so I can say I have.

Most for a pint - £5 or so for an American wheat beer in Brewdog. I'd just made one and wanted to see how it compared. It was very underwhelming, though I think my expectations were unreasonably high. For that price I was expecting it to make me poo golden eggs or give me a handjob or something. My American wheat was there or thereabouts and it cost me 30p a pint to make.

Quite often pay £20-25 for 750ml bottles of RIS, big IPAs, Gueuze. These are for bottle shares with friends who do likewise, so it ends up £20-25 towards a night sharing big, amazing beers with friends, which isn't so bad. Last one was a bottle of De Cam Oud Gueuze.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Nice looking pub in central London, chalk board with "Doom Bar" on it 6 quid a pint.

I reluctantly say yes, and to my horror the barman reaches down into a fridge and pulls out a bottle.....:doh:

After a black tie dinner at a swanky London hotel I bought two bottles of Becks for £16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking pub in central London, chalk board with "Doom Bar" on it 6 quid a pint.

I reluctantly say yes, and to my horror the barman reaches down into a fridge and pulls out a bottle.....:doh:
It’s even overpriced at the £2.25 a pint they charge in my local ‘Spoons.

Make an amber ale, don’t add enough hops and ferment it too high, and you’ll get Doom Bar

After a black tie dinner at a swanky London hotel I bought two bottles of Becks for £16

I thought £8 for a Becks took the prize for the most paid for the worst beer, but I think I topped it today. I was in Jordan and drank a beer named Philadelphia, also the former name of the capital city, Amman:

20171207_134515_0.jpg

An eye-watering $10 for the can, it was so insipid that even the lingering nastiness was tolerable. To be honest I was amazed that beer was even brewed and sold in a 94% Muslim country, and a devout one at that. Apparently they have a long tradition of brewing, including some wines of critical acclaim. This beer won't win any critical acclaim though. I didn't notice when taking the photo the ubiquitous portrait of King Abdullah II in the background. A bit freaky seeing them all over the place. I was glad to get back over the boarder to Israel where I can pick up a bottle of Weihenstephaner hefeweisen for less than it costs in the UK :lol:

But it says it's a quality lager!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7euros for kronenberg in eurodisney made me cry 😣😭 but after 3 days with 2x 4 year olds in -1 degrees of drink and pay just about anything!!!!!

I have paid £3.50 for some really decent half pints of craft beer at the Craft Beer Co at Convent Garden, London.

But it says it's a quality lager!

The waitress came up to me after my first sip and asked, with an approval-seeking look "is very good, yes?". I didn't want to be rude and tell her the truth, so I smiled and said "mmmm.... yes, delicious". She seemed happy with that. To be fair, beer aside, they had good reason to take pride in what they served, the food was excellent. Cheap and rustic stuff, like smooth smokey baba ganoush wiped up with freshly baked flatbreads, and slow-cooked mutton falling off the bone as you scoop it onto the fragrent lightly spiced rice that soaks up the sauce. Even low-budget middle eastern food can be really hearty and satisfying.

I go to KL quite regularly I stop over at Dubai for a couple of hours to wait to catch my flight to KL as I fly Emirates. at the bar there for Extra cold Heineken it was £10 a PINT! I alwas have on the way out and 2 on the way back which total now£40:whistle:

We were told not to have a beer in one of the many restaurants around Bergen Harbour. Of course the numpties we are just hit the first place we came to (which was on the harbour.) £13 a pint and this was 15 years ago mind you. The average price was £7 in most bars but as we were following our team against Brann Bergen, it didn't stop us getting rat arsed every night.

On the counter in 1995 we played Sparta Prague in the European Cup and the first bar we hit was a student bar up beside the old Olympic Stadium and it was 10p a pint.

Clown shoes Blaecorn Unidragon Russian Imperial Stout £18 at brewdog for a 650ml bottle

It was my sons turn to go to the bar ( I had a tab open ) and I said any imperial stout will do :doh:

It was good but no better than my own and certainly not worth £18.

or 8 euros for a 330ml bottle of westy12. That was better although the st bernadus abt 12 is pretty close to it and far cheaper.

Latest posts

Back