demijohns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blundersbrew

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference in brewing wine with demijohns compared the fermenting buckets? I have my first wine brewing in a 5ltr fermenting bucket & want to do more but I dont know anything about it. thanks sean

how much headroom do you have? lots of headroom is bad, I use mine for 1 or 2 gallon batches of stuff and only use a 5 gallon fv for full size batches of beer etc...not sure about the rest!

blundersbrew said:
Can anyone tell me the difference in brewing wine with demijohns compared the fermenting buckets?
In a word, air.

Air, or more particularly oxygen, is bad for wine.

While you've got an active fermentation going your wine is protected by the head of carbon dioxide which is being produced, because CO2 is heavier than air, so a covered bucket is fine as long as you don't keep taking the lid off.

In the later stages, and for maturation, your wine should be in a sealed fermenter under airlock, topped right up to the neck so the airspace is kept to an absolute minimum.

Buckets are great at the beginning of any wine recipe which has stuff you want to later remove that might be hard to get out of the neck of a demi.

Back