What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like super cheap:lol::thumb:

Me too. Thats why I'm making it. Table sugar and cornflakes to replace a third of the malt. Low OG, and Low IBU so it doesnt need much hops. Only two hop additons and the bittering additon of high AA% hops added at 90 min boil so it doesnt take much. Cheap as chips :mrgreen:

Here is today's Hobgoblin clone recipe for 24L:

Maris Otter 4.9kg
Crystal 400g
Choc malt 150g
Dark unrefined sugar 500g

Herkules 13g @ 60m

Fuggles 15g @ 15m
First Gold 15g @ 15m

Intended to add the same hopping of F & FG @ 0 mins, but must have been distracted or something as they were still in a bowl as the GF emptied.

So, looks like a hop tea addition to get the length back out to the intended 25L.

On the plus side, got very good efficiency with the low-ish mass grain bill and maybe a hop tea or dry hop will get better hop flavour at the end.

Which one is this? I had a bottle of arrowaine last week and really enjoyed it.

Fully support the aim to make corn flakes actually taste of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewed a Pliny The Elder IPA clone yesterday based on Bertus Brewery's 4th recipe. Dry hop in primary on day 4, rack to secondary on day 7 and dry hop again. Bottle a week later.

No idea what Pliny The Elder tastes like, but surely I'll get a decent IPA for my efforts.

Which one is this? I had a bottle of arrowaine last week and really enjoyed it.

It was going to be Orfy's Hobgoblin clone, but I did not have any Goldings, so I used First Gold instead. Also I has Herkules open in the freezer, so used them for bittering. My timings look different to Orfy's mainly due to the length of time it takes to get the GF down to 80C or so - 5 mins to sterilise the counter-flow chiller and maybe 5 more to cool down.

A search probably takes you to a thread on Jim's.

Next Saturday an allgrain IPA in the brewing course (it was either IPA of bock). I asked if individual adjustments were allowed: yes they were :smile:
So I'm gonna bring some extra dme and Chinook for the imperial version! :D

Yesterday (sorry got delayed in posting) Australian Pale Ale from Coopers with a Bolster Kit from Home Brew Online. Started off a bit low OG 1030 compared to my other drinks. But lets see what the yeasties do to it as it is bubbling away like no tomorrow.

A clone of brewdog Elvis juice from their recipe book. All grain biab method. Added grapefruit peel and orange peel to FV. Smells amazing.

Next Saturday an allgrain IPA in the brewing course (it was either IPA of bock). I asked if individual adjustments were allowed: yes they were :smile:
So I'm gonna bring some extra dme and Chinook for the imperial version! :D
Course master had a surprise: we were going to make a Jopen Mooie Nel IPA clone! 9 to 5 allgrain course day ._. and no beer being drunk!

20171118_163357_HDR.jpg

20171118_154324_HDR.jpg

20171118_105254_HDR.jpg

20171118_102433_HDR.jpg

Bottling up my 25l pale ale concoction today and prepping for doing a 100% Pilsner Kolsch with hallertau mittlefrueh either tomorrow or Tuesday when yeast arrives from CML.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By now, I should be able to brew this in my sleep. The formula is simple. A good quality pale ale malt...offset perhaps by a bit of...crystal, plus a nice heaping of nice fresh Cascade hops... Ferment it using the so called Chico yeast and you've got beer...

This is, of course, nicked from Randy Mosher's excellent "Radical Brewing".

So, doughing in I notice a strange obstruction. Closer inspection reveals the silicone from outside the bottom of the mashing cylinder of the much revered Grainfather. Big panic as the grain and mashing water get separated, then the mashing cylinder gets re-assembled and then it all gets mixed together again in the right place.

Rest of the day went OK, except that I left the white plastic spoon (that came with the Coopers starter kit) too close to the pan I was boiling up the sugar in the final runnings from the sparge. Very sad to lose this spoon, which goes way back to the first kit in 2013. Terrible smell of burning plastic. :doh:

Got around 75% efficiency today, which is very good, for me, using pre-crushed grain that has been opened a few weeks.

Coopers real ale, 1kg brewing sugar, bbe DEC 16. Using CML real ale yeast. 20ltr. Hope its OK?

Coopers real ale, 1kg brewing sugar, bbe DEC 16. Using CML real ale yeast. 20ltr. Hope its OK?

I expect it will be! The Coopers Real Ale kit was the the first one I did that really tasted like a beer, as opposed to a lager.

Many ways to pimp this kit up as well. Crystal steeps and hop additions.

Rogue Shakespeare oatmeal stout clone - https://byo.com/mead/item/3012-rogue-shakespeare-stout-clone

It's come out a bit bigger than target OG (I got 1066, aiming for 1061). I harvested a batch of US05 from another oatmeal stout bottled yesterday and it's gone off like a rocket, lots of visible activity within 3 hours of pitching. I've never tried a stout hopped with cascade before, hope it comes out alright!

A pink grapefruit version of my Ale cid which I enjoyed more than I thought I would given I'm not a great fan of apple juice.

2.5kg dme
500g dwe
450g golden syrup
8 litres of pink grapefruit juice.
100g Galaxy 20 mins flameout before dropping to 28 degrees kept in for 5 days.
MJ's cider yeast.

If the pink grapefruit sits well, I'll use darker dme next time and perhaps change the yeast to get closer to elvis juice :grin:

Back