Retro cars - suggestions and advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight off I thought 'Saab 900 Turbo', but I've no idea what they go for, these days.

This nice Saab is just <2k

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-900i-16v-5Door-/162742065802?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&_mwBanner=1

:oops: Sorry about that Terry looks like i hit edit instead of quote.

Was it just the 1.7 diesel that had these problems?

The maestro is like a hatch back / tourer version of the lancia

My vandan plays model really stands out from the crowd

Been compared to a lancia many times whilst out shopping in Barnsley

Once a chap thought I was driving a Bristol

If you want a cheap easy to maintain sub 2k classic car, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than a ford puma or a Mercedes Benz CE (W123)

The puma is a fab car to drive and parts are dirt cheap. Plus they were pretty reliable too. The Merc, well as long as it ain't rotten will just last forever...

:oops: Sorry about that Terry looks like i hit edit instead of quote.

Was it just the 1.7 diesel that had these problems?
Yes the ex demo was so bad that Vauxhall gave me a new one, and the new one kept developing faults during the original and an extended warranty period, with the 'highlight' being complete renewal of the wiring loom due to water ingress which caused the car to just die, due to shorting and corrosion.

I remember my 1.2 had to go in for a recall something to do with the ABS getting water in the electrics and failing but generally speaking i have had no bother with corsas

Mine had white doe skin leather seats
Fm radio and rear window wiper

My motorbike has got a choke knob. Ye that's right - a choke knob. Look it up, kids - your mind will be boggled. Oh, and carburetors, none of that new fangled fuel injection malarkey.

My mam had am Austin Cambridge which had a hole in the bumper for a crank handle but I don't remember ever seeing the handle, this is not hers but you can see the hole in the bumper.

Austin_Cambridge.jpg

I've always had vauxhalls for the past 8 years of driving and I although biased I wouldn't choose any other "cheap" brand. Off topic but if you want a cheap reliable car, stay away from Diesels as theres just more to go wrong.

Now have a Honda and the quality of the finish is definitely a step up which is what I wanted as I needed a car to drive around the country a couple of times per week and wanted that bit more comfort. better sound proofing, better quality plastics etc.

Been there;done that - but I missed out on cranking handles!
My first car (a Morris Minor convertible) had a cranking handle and I seem to remember having to use it a few times.
I come from a generation where car ownership was quite limited, my parents didn't own one until the 70s. There were also still pre wars cars being driven about when I was very young, and I do remember my first ride in a car was in a prewar Austin 12 or 16. And at that time even the new ones were limited in their kit, typically heater came as optional on some cars, radios were rare except in more expensive cars, and only three forward gears were quite common. And anyone who has driven a vehicle with an old pudding stirrer gear lever will remember the difficulty changing gear, I certainly do. But column change and a bench seat that goes with it, that's a completely different experience.
But the oddest thing I remember about old cars was a friend's Dad who had an old Austin Somerset or Devon which was fitted with a valve radio installed in the engine compartment and took up quite a lot of space. Can't remember if it worked or not.

Back