Apple Scratter / crusher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happybonzo

Reaction score
We make our own Cider and have used a manual Scratter up until now.

Has anyone tried or used one of these off Ebay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric...436939&hash=item5686f27259:g:TWAAAOSwFAZTtvNS

We have been looking at the Speidel Apple Mill or the Fruit Shark, both of which come out considerably more money.

We have tried a garden shredder but found that it clogged too quickly although we do know people who have used them successfully.

if you have large cooking apples you might want to ask how wide that opening is, if you control the rate you chuck them in it should be fine.

Hi there,
We hired the spiedel from our local orchard group last year, we were so impressed that this year we bought our own. Yes it's a large outlay, but it transforms half a ton of apples into a sloppy porridge in less than half an hour. We worked out that on pub prices ours paid for itself and some in one hours work.

interesting thread. I am considering the same upgrade. There is one on amazon for about £280 I have been thinking about (cant be bothered to post a link as its easy enough to find). A local cider company has also offered to lend me theirs for a weekend, but by the time I have driven there and back twice I suspect I could have scratted most of the apples manually !

if another option doesn't emerge I will probably try the amazon one, as it has good reviews.

We have a slightly larger version of the eBay link for our allotment juicing day. It’s awesome. I only had about 8 kg apples, chucked them in whole, instantly scratted to perfect consistency for pressing.

the main factor to consider is how much cider you plan to make per season. the one you have found looks fine for a few hundred liters of juice a day.

Latest posts

Back