Conical or not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbud78

Regular.
Reaction score
I can not make a decision, my FV really need changing and I want to go stainless. I really want to be able to do closed transfers to keg and also do not want to limit myself in the future so as I see it i've got three options:

7 Gal Conical which is expensive and I'd need a new fridge for temps.
A SS brew bucket which I would have to convert for pressure transfer and would be almost the cost of the conical and I'm not keen on the tap. But it does fit my current fridge.
Stainless bucket with Tri clamp fittings, cheapest option and even has butterfly valve.

Head says bucket but I've a nagging feeling I should get the conical, anyone got one that regrets it ? Its a lot of cash I have to explain to my wife lol

I bought the brewtech 10L conical mini bucket

I have only used it once and the tap got blocked with hop debris, the quality of the bucket is good.
Will try another brew but I still prefer my old plastic FV

Conical fermenters are certainly convenient. Sampling ports are the icing on the cake. When you think Primary fermentation is done there is no question of racking into a secondary, there's no need. The conical section subjects your beer to a much reduced surface area of old yeast which can be (the old yeast that is) dumped through the port in the bottom if so desired. Fit an airlock and your beer is effectively in its secondary fermenter (dry hops? They can go in now as mine did yesterday, but this is the first time I've tried it).

On stainless steel models you might be able to fit an stainless steel air-stone to the dump port to initially aerate the wort before fermentation. That's what I did.

There are suggestions that the shape creates currents in the beer thus speeding fermentation. I can't prove this, but perhaps I expect beer (sub-1050) to ferment out in two days rather than three. My last brew went in a bit warm (20.5C) and crept up to 21.5. It went 1040 to 1010 (expected FG) within 24 hours! But it kept going for another 24 hours to get an FG of 1007. Some come with temperature control (loads of money), I'm retro-fitting mine with PVC tubing wraps and neoprene sheet, all fed from a shelf-chiller and Inkbird ICT308 controller.

(EDIT: I don't do closed transfers to the kegs, but fit (tri-clamp) a 12V pump and hoses to the racking port and fill the kegs with that. I do 45-65L runs in this fermenter, it's a big 'in. Shame you can't get them anymore.)

Just to throw a wildcard out there, have you considered a FastFerment? Probably the cheapest option and I really like mine. It has a yeast collection ball which is really useful as well. If this isn't something you'll consider then no worries.

hi
i have the brewmaster 7 gal and love it, easy to use and clean.

i pondered for some time as to what to get and in the end spent the money on the brewmaster version with a maxicool 110 and inkbird.

the temp is now +/- .5 deg and the resulting raw fermented wort tastes far better than conditioned ale i made years ago.

i have only put kits through this to make sure it all works and now considering either AG brewing or BIAB, the costs are ramping up a bit now as the bug bites hard but my view is push the cost limits and the results are more consistent.

i feel that this is a head/heart issue but go with the best you can afford.

good luck.

hi
i have the brewmaster 7 gal and love it, easy to use and clean.

i pondered for some time as to what to get and in the end spent the money on the brewmaster version

I'm in the same position and keep coming back to the Brewmaster version. Although they do make a Chronical 7 gal which is £180 cheaper but with ball valves rather than butterfly valves as in the brewmaster. Decisions decisions indeed.

I would go for the SS Brewbucket and keep the fridge. People leave beer in there primaries for weeks on yeast without suffering any negative effects.

... People leave beer in there primaries for weeks on yeast without suffering any negative effects.

No negative effects? Who says? Sure any negative effects may leave drinkable beer after weeks on end in contact with the lees, but might the beer have been a damn sight better if it was taken off the lees in a timely manner?

Ive still not made a decision on this, I think I'll regret not getting a conical if I don't but the stainless Bucket from brewbuilder is half the price xD Been looking for a cheap fridge for a conical but not found one yet.

Decided against the SS brew bucket as by the time I'd got fittings for closed pressure transfers its not too far of the cost of the conical.

I recently bought a 14 Gall Chronical (Had to buy a new fridge to fit it in)
So far I love it. I've also got the SS Brewbucket which has served me well. Regarding the racking arm getting blocked, if you leave it pointing down until racking you may not get a problem.

Brian

I recently bought a 14 Gall Chronical (Had to buy a new fridge to fit it in)
So far I love it. I've also got the SS Brewbucket which has served me well.
Brian

Similar to me. I have a 7 gal SS Brewbucket but I was finding I was losing quite a bit of wort from the blow-off as there was not enough space between the top of the wort and the lid. Because of this, the ability to do bigger brews and being able to ferment during the summer months, I've recently got myself a 14 gal Brewmaster Chronical, Maxi 210 cooler and Inkbird 308. I couldn't fit a brew fridge in the kitchen so this has worked as a better option for me.

I found with the brewmaster edition I can dump the hot wort in and use the internal coil and the maxicool to bring down temp. A lot less faffing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought I would polish the fv nearly every time I see a finger print or mark. I am a real sucker for shiny and just got a burco as well. Gonna do a malt extract and grain ghost ship clone tomorrow. No where to put it when brewed so have 2 weeks to drink 37 pints. Lol.

Last edited:
Just got my hands on my copy of 'Ferment Magazine'. Page 48 says: 'Win one of Three Conical Fermenters from Grainfather' includes temperature controller and dual valve tap upgrades......:thumb::)

Competition closes 8th June 2017........??:doh::doh:

In the 7 gal Chronical, how much of the fermenter height does the chiller pipe cover? As in are you fixed to running full size batches to cover it or can you ferment 10 or 15 litre batches?

In the 7 gal Chronical, how much of the fermenter height does the chiller pipe cover? As in are you fixed to running full size batches to cover it or can you ferment 10 or 15 litre batches?

24 litres just covers the top of the coil but as the water is coldest at the bottom of the coil it will not make a lot of difference. I've done 19 litres and still cooled quickly if required. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back