best keg system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja_geeze

Reaction score
Ok so looking at moving to a keg system so i can get away from the plastic king keg types,i can then force CO2 into beer if need be ect.
was looking at the old Cornelius style kegs ,just wondered if there are any better systems nowadays ?
if so where to buy ?
my cousin has had some Cornelius kegs for 20 plus years and says they can be a pain in the butt....:)

Ok so looking at moving to a keg system so i can get away from the plastic king keg types,i can then force CO2 into beer if need be ect.
was looking at the old Cornelius style kegs ,just wondered if there are any better systems nowadays ?
if so where to buy ?
my cousin has had some Cornelius kegs for 20 plus years and says they can be a pain in the butt....:)
Got 3 and not a pita at all

That's interesting, I've never heard anyone that says corny kegs are a pain. I highly recommend you get yourself a keezer and some corny kegs. It's so simple once you get the hang of your kit.

without temp controle it can be a pain but where there is a will there is a way. i dont bother using taps i use a counter pressure bottle filler the put the bottles in fridge and no problems

your options other than cornies are the more commercial centric systems based generally on a sankey S fitting,

the main difference between the 2 types corny vs sankey is that sankey kegs dont have the wide opening for a lid and contain beer in and gas out through a single double purpose connector. And Sankey kegs dont generally have PRV's on the keg.

the spear removal of a sankey keg Can be dangerous if all the internal pressure in the keg has not been vented, when unscrewed the spear assembly can become a projectile if the keg is under pressure which could be lethal..

sankey kegs come in a few flavours there are a few single use plastic options some of which can be reused, some not, atm i think its only brew uk that stock the 20l slim sankey kegs, afaik crusader stopped selling to the public? 30 and 50l options are the more usual squat broad keg shape.

benefits of sankey kegs are less seals to fail, and no pressure is needed to seal the non existent lid
cons include more expensive couplers, without a prv on the individual kegs a regulator equipped with one is wise where a cheap welders reg works with cornies, the cost of a spear removal tool and over-coming the safety features.. and the SS versions of the kegs are more expensive both new and 2nd use.

That's interesting, I've never heard anyone that says corny kegs are a pain. I highly recommend you get yourself a keezer and some corny kegs. It's so simple once you get the hang of your kit.

ive got a nice brew fridge if thats any good :mrgreen:

ok so next obvious question where do i get a decent sized co2 bottle ??
i am in the north east lincs/humberside area

I got my bottle from a cash n carry that is open to public.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just google co2 supply in your post code

ok had a good google and a ring round ,cant believe you have to pay rent on a co2 cylinder.i have found a place at doncaster (not to far) £65 for a 6.34kg and no rent you actually own the cylinder .is this a decent deal ?

As everyone else said, get a Corny, and a cheap fridge off gumtree, I still use a soda stream co2 tank and mini regulator, only for space issues and it's ideal, carbonator cap and beer tap dissconect are all you need to get going

managed to source a 10 litre co2 for £50 that should last me an age :mrgreen:
not sure on size though it may be a bit large !!!
awaiting measurements atm.

managed to source a 10 litre co2 for £50 that should last me an age :mrgreen:
not sure on size though it may be a bit large !!!
awaiting measurements atm.

You mean 10 kg??? For the first go, you'll waste it. Things will leak, you'll use it on purging items you don't need to purge. But you'll soon grasp the concept.
Brew on brother. The the only thing that between you and good beer is your mouth! (Sorry, TM)

I got my co2 bottle from the beer and gas man, £50 deposit on the bottle and £10 for the gas, I use 4 cornies and I love them
That's who I use,you have to write off the £50 cost of the bottle first time but at £10 an exchange and delivered to your door at no extra cost its a brilliant service

You mean 10 kg??? For the first go, you'll waste it. Things will leak, you'll use it on purging items you don't need to purge. But you'll soon grasp the concept.
Brew on brother. The the only thing that between you and good beer is your mouth! (Sorry, TM)

+1 on wasting your first tank (and the second in my case) through leaks etc....
On my third tank now and I made sure ALL joints etc are gas tight.
Good move getting it though...

Sorry lol yes 10kg, i thought i may as well get a decent amount to allow for wastage ect like you pointed out..:mrgreen:

Don't know where you are exactly but the Calor Gas place in Grimsby does food grade CO2.

Cheers bud very close to me will enquire..:thumb:
quick phone call and they want £97 for a 10 kg tooooo expensive but thanks anyway..
£65 for the bottle +£32 to fill it...

Back