What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also has my eye on this one for ages. I think it's the biscuit malt that I like the idea of trying/tasting

I think I got onto biscuit (French for twice cooked, or in this sense, twice slightly toasted) because, guess what, it was on offer, at HBC or which ever.

I can't honestly tell you the flavour, body, mouth "feel" or anything else it adds to a brew. Where it sits alongside an amber or brown malt and how it makes a real difference, I can't say on the basis of my experience. They all seem to do much the same job.

If the colour of your beer is important, perhaps that is it?

I think I got onto biscuit (French for twice cooked, or in this sense, twice slightly toasted) because, guess what, it was on offer, at HBC or which ever.

I can't honestly tell you the flavour, body, mouth "feel" or anything else it adds to a brew. Where it sits alongside an amber or brown malt and how it makes a real difference, I can't say on the basis of my experience. They all seem to do much the same job.

If the colour of your beer is important, perhaps that is it?

From what I've read it, does exactly what it says on the tin and adds a biscuity flavour to the beer. Its as simple as that.

Mashed in a pale ale at 9am this morning. Just real simple MO, tiny bit of crystal and little bit of carapils.

Gonna be a Columbus, Amarillo, cascade, centennial citrus blast with a touch of spicy chinook.

Last minute brew after plans had changed late yesterday so I'm at home for the day [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently making a cross between a spiced white beer and an IPA. Very much making it up as I go along, it's (very) loosely based on a recipe for a Hoegaarden clone. I don't know whether to call it "Pretty Fly (for a White Beer)" or "The Only IPA in the Village".

Currently boiling some hops for an extract brew.

1.5kg Dark SME
0.5kg Light SME

30g Saaz for 35 Mins
20g Hallertau for 20 mins
80g Orange Peel for 15 mins
20g Saaz for 10 mins.

15L batch using M29 French Saison yeast.

Next up (Wednesday) Schwartzbier using 750g steeped 120L with a Belgian Ale Yeast.

Time is the one thing I have lots of for the next 5 weeks...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well, yesterday got a batch of yeast going and today realizing they had all gone to the other side. RIP little guys!

A quick after work BIAB no chill witbier.
Got my brew day down to 3 1/2 hours including clean down:party::party::party::party:

Just coming to the end of brewing a pretty simple pseudo lager, Irish lager malt 95%, carablonde 5% and Hersbrucker at 60/10/0.

When I was on holiday in Cornwall I was drinking St Austell brewery's lager, Korev. It was lovely. On checking their site to see what the receipe was it said magnum, saaz and Hersbruker hops were used. It was the hersbrucker that gave it the fruty/floral flavour I so liked in it. Very much like EKG. At first I thought that's what they used until I checked their website

Just made a "Way to Amarillo"
smells bloody fantastic
fermenting like a train now

Made my first full boil dry malt extract brew on Sunday. Russian Imperial Stout from Greg Hughes book. It's my xmas brew early to allow for the 15 week conditioning! Plan to dry hop with Scotch bonnets in 7-9 days.

OG was 1.086 from a target 1.080. Added 0.1kg exyra malt extract rather than waste it!

Started:

o Festival Golden Stag Ale in the brew fridge at 24 degrees with an OG 0f 1.044.

o St Peters Ruby Red Ale on the workbench at 22 degrees ambient with an OG of 1.042.

It was really difficult to get the St Peters Ruby Red Ale temperature down to the required 20 degrees as the ambient temperature was sitting at 22 degrees in the garage; but it has come down during the evening and I managed to pitch the yeast at the recommended temperature.

Looking back, I should have put the Ruby Red in the fridge (recommended temperature 18-20 degrees) and the Golden Stag on the workbench (recommended temperature 20-25 degrees) ... :doh:

.. but I was too tired and emotional to start shifting the FVs about by the time they were in place. :thumb:

At the moment the Ruby Red stands a chance of fermenting whereas splashed all over the garage floor neither of them would have a chance! :whistle: :whistle:

Started:

o Festival Golden Stag Ale in the brew fridge at 24 degrees with an OG 0f 1.044.

o St Peters Ruby Red Ale on the workbench at 22 degrees ambient with an OG of 1.042.

It was really difficult to get the St Peters Ruby Red Ale temperature down to the required 20 degrees as the ambient temperature was sitting at 22 degrees in the garage; but it has come down during the evening and I managed to pitch the yeast at the recommended temperature.

Looking back, I should have put the Ruby Red in the fridge (recommended temperature 18-20 degrees) and the Golden Stag on the workbench (recommended temperature 20-25 degrees) ... :doh:

.. but I was too tired and emotional to start shifting the FVs about by the time they were in place. :thumb:

At the moment the Ruby Red stands a chance of fermenting whereas splashed all over the garage floor neither of them would have a chance! :whistle: :whistle:

Do you use star san to sanitise? What I do to get my brew down to pitching temp the last few degrees after no chilling (if my pitching temp is below the ambient temp) Is, using 4x500ml frozen PET bottles I sanitise them in bucket of star san then chuck them in the wort. I then stir the wort for 30 seconds or so and leave it for 5-10 mins. I then take the temp and if it hasnt reached pitching temp, I stir the wort again and leave it for another 5-10 mins. I do this until the wort has reached pitching temp or I need to swap out the frozen PET bottles as the ice has completly melted inside.
I usually find 4x500ml PET bottles will drop the wort about a maximum of 5C before defrosting and needing to be swapped

Bit late (yesterday!) but did a double brew all at the same time:

Coopers Russian Imperial Stout, as per their website (see sig) which started at 1.084

and

HBC American Brown Ale Extract Kit - chucked in a pack of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (using up old/surplus stock) to bump the ABV and mouthfeel/maltiness a bit. Came in at 1.060

Also put on a 2L starter for a WLP300 wheat beer yeast for next weekend (was a few months old).

Managed to stink out the house (forgot to shut the kitchen door) and flood the kitchen floor when I left a tap running while upstairs looking for the ABA instructions :oops:

Wife said, "I just luv it when you have a beer making day..." <gulp> :doh:

Do you use star san to sanitise? What I do to get my brew down to pitching temp the last few degrees after no chilling (if my pitching temp is below the ambient temp) Is, using 4x500ml frozen PET bottles I sanitise them in bucket of star san then chuck them in the wort. I then stir the wort for 30 seconds or so and leave it for 5-10 mins. I then take the temp and if it hasnt reached pitching temp, I stir the wort again and leave it for another 5-10 mins. I do this until the wort has reached pitching temp or I need to swap out the frozen PET bottles as the ice has completly melted inside.
I usually find 4x500ml PET bottles will drop the wort about a maximum of 5C before defrosting and needing to be swapped

I use Chemipro Oxi for all normal sanitising and Unscented Thin Bleach for any heavy duty stuff.

I like the sound of using frozen PET bottles. I usually have at least a couple of 2 litre water bottles kicking around and properly sterilised I could just stir the wort with them.

I have another two brews to do before the end of the month so I will certainly give it a go. :thumb::thumb:

It would be very anti-social to start praying that the temperature drops significantly in the next couple of weeks just so that I can get a brew completed; especially here in Skegness! :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks for the tip. :thumb: :thumb:

I use Chemipro Oxi for all normal sanitising and Unscented Thin Bleach for any heavy duty stuff.

I like the sound of using frozen PET bottles. I usually have at least a couple of 2 litre water bottles kicking around and properly sterilised I could just stir the wort with them.

I have another two brews to do before the end of the month so I will certainly give it a go. :thumb::thumb:

It would be very anti-social to start praying that the temperature drops significantly in the next couple of weeks just so that I can get a brew completed; especially here in Skegness! :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks for the tip. :thumb: :thumb:
I tried frozen mineral water bottles and it works pretty well. Incidentally, I did test them in boiling water first to make sure they would not melt

Good news!

The heatwave gave us a miss so I sat for about an hour this evening listening to two brews going "glub-glub" in a garage that has maintained a steady 20 degrees all day! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Brewed a transatlantic pale with Vienna, Maris otter, Munich, carapils, challenger, Columbus, EKG, centennial, fuggles and liberty....all went well but I seem to have acquired a hell of a lot more trub than usual

Back