Russian imp stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
I recently sampled a lovely RI stout brewed by an acquaintance and would
Like to brew something similar....

He mentioned that the dark grains were added late in the mash to avoid bitter flavour from these.....

Anyone got a good recipe I could use or adapt??

Check out StrangeSteve's Event Horizon recipe in the recipes section of the forum. It doesn't hold back on the bitterness from the malt but is packed with flavour, and won the gold medal in its category at the NHC competition. I based my RIS off it and I'm very happy with it.

brew 26 - east vs west - blue

1.5kg med extract
1kg dark extract
500g extra dark extract
500g dwe
500g dark candi sugar
450g golden syrup
500g dark crystal malt 90 lovibond
500g roast barley
500g choc
yeast mj's m41
50g amarillo 15 min boil.
an hour at 65deg c for the grains 2.5 : 1 water to grain.

1082 og - 1.014 fg
topped up to 22 litres

to prime
170ml clarks maple syrup
35g golden Demerara 400 ml water

9% after bottling

Hoping to brew this in the next week:

16L batch, Target OG at 68% efficiency is 1.081

3.5kg Maris Otter
1kg Munich
500g flaked barley
300g Special B
750g Chocolate malt
500g roast barley

Haven’t decided on hops yet but I’m leaning towards just a bittering charge to around 60 IBUs.

I decided to inclue Munich and Special B to promote malt sweetness, I’m putting all of the dark grains in the main mash. My expectation is the sweetness from the Munich and Special B combined with a high FG will balance it all out. Will it work who knows.

Edit: I should add that I’ve not brewed this before and my previous attempts at dark beers have not been wildly successful.

I got some Carafa Special III recently. Supposed to retain all the yumminess but lose the harshness (can't say I've noticed any ) of 'regular' stuff. Used in a porter this week, so time will tell if there's any difference.

Hoping to brew this in the next week:

16L batch, Target OG at 68% efficiency is 1.081

3.5kg Maris Otter
1kg Munich
500g flaked barley
300g Special B
750g Chocolate malt
500g roast barley

Haven’t decided on hops yet but I’m leaning towards just a bittering charge to around 60 IBUs.

I decided to inclue Munich and Special B to promote malt sweetness, I’m putting all of the dark grains in the main mash. My expectation is the sweetness from the Munich and Special B combined with a high FG will balance it all out. Will it work who knows.

Edit: I should add that I’ve not brewed this before and my previous attempts at dark beers have not been wildly successful.
If 68% is your normal efficiency, I'd knock about 5% of and recalculate. High gravity stouts are notoriously inefficient to brew. Or have some DME in as a backup. Ignore me if you have already accounted for this.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/amp/defy-gravity-brewing-high-gravity-beers

Not sure you'll need so much Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malt, I think I used 4% of each in mine.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

If 68% is your normal efficiency, I'd knock about 5% of and recalculate. High gravity stouts are notoriously inefficient to brew. Or have some DME in as a backup. Ignore me if you have already accounted for this.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/amp/defy-gravity-brewing-high-gravity-beers

Not sure you'll need so much Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malt, I think I used 4% of each in mine.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Already accounted for lower efficiency, but thanks for the thought. I'd taken my cue from Steve's recipe with the dark grains, but they have come packed separately in the recipe kit so I may temper it a bit. I've also got a kilo of base malt spare so I could increase the batch size and alter the percentages that way. I try to think about these things in advance and set my ideas but I always end up wavering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was prescient. I missed my already lowered gravity target by some distance. This is happening to much, I need to take a good look at my process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back