priming with honey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donny_1972

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has primed there brew with honey and if so how much did you use and did it help enhance the beer any.

Not sure about the flavour impact, but I'd imagine it would be a slow business if you're a bottle primer.

The plus side is you'd probably preserve the flavour subtleties in the honey more than if you'd added it at the end of the boil.

Hi Donny

I have just primed a keg of Honey IPA (John Bulls IPA with 600g sugar/600g Honey) with 13tsp Sugar/150g Honey a couple of days ago, Preliminary tastings have gone well so fingers crossed.

I will keep you up to date on how well it turned out :thumb:

Just done it with my "Al bee back" AG honey ale. Placed the jar of honey in a bain marie, and let hit simmer until really hot. By the time this was done I had all my bottles ready and Videned :thumb: Then using a Syringe 5ml of honey in each bottle, my wife filled the bottles, I squirted honey and capped bottles, had a nice little production line. I did run out of honey about 3/4 of the way through, so used 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the rest. The ones with honey conditioned quicker, taste nicer and definatley have more of a honey taste than the ones with sugar. Would I do it again, yes without doubt, but only if I wanted a honyed taste!

Back