Cleaning - Videne (bargain)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I had what I think is a bit of a result yesterday, I phoned my local Asda pharmacy section and asked if they could get me in some Videne Antiseptic Solution, they got it in sameday and this morning I collected 2x 500ml bottles for £4.41 each. Bearing in mind I dilute this down 2.5ml in 2000ml water each bottle is good for 400L (if i've done my math correctly :? ) so I should be OK for quite a while to come. :D

After my usual argument with the pharmacist She miscalculated the price and I got 2 bottles for 4.38 . . . Nice result there :cheers:

That is a good result :cheers:

I want to know though, what is your "usual argument" with the pharmacist? :hmm:

Oh they asked me that, I just said that I like doing 'experimental operations' she just said oh, right, no problem ;)

Wez said:
Oh they asked me that, I just said that I like doing 'experimental operations' she just said oh, right, no problem ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

she probably wished she'd never asked ! haha

wow that stuffs well cheap. i'm getting through no end of richies sanitiser and it aint cheap :(

what's the procedure for sanitising with videne? is it a spray stuff or do you just drop it in similar to the richies powder? does it need any special rinsing?

Hi Brew

For cleaning I use a Soda Crystal solution (£0.42p per kilo at ASDA) then rinse that realy well then use a Videne solution to 'serilise' (1.25ml per L). So for getting a fermenter ready I clean out with soda crystals 5 tbsp per L, rinse then add 4L cold water to the FV and add in 5ml Videne put the lid on and swirl around making sure every part gets contact with the Videne for a couple of mins. At 1.25ml per L it's supposed to be 'no rinse' but I always rinse it.

Hopefully some of the other guys will add their tips and tricks for cleaning, i'd like to hear about using Videne in a spray bottle as thats something I haven't thought about doing :hmm:

I use videne in a spray bottle, and also a wash bottle. Spray inside and outside surfaces of the clean FV and corny posts and disconnects (at 2.5ml/L - which is the maximum no rinse concentration), I also use a spray into bottles prior to filling . . . although I might use peracetic instead just depends on how the feeling takes me. I also fill empty beer lines with the more usual 1.25ml/L after cleaning, and then pull it through after connecting a keg.

The spray bottle I use to flush out the tap nozzles after pulling a pint to stop nasties growing up there.

Star san is best used in a spray bottle, and peracetic is very effective when used as a spray/mist

I use StarSan in a spray bottle (1ml in 500ml) on my conical. StarSan isn't quite as cheap as Videne but it's foamy so it clings better so there's a longer contact time. At the rate of 1ml per brew, my current stock of StarSan will last until I die (or it goes off....which is unlikely). I do make up my spray solution with soft water as my water is too alkaline otherwise and StarSan solution needs to be clear not cloudy.

I use peracetic on kegs and bottles though and get through rather more of that....

i think i might be getting myself some videne and finding a couple of spray bottles then :D

Got the solution an made 1 litre up in spray bottle with 1.25ml.

When I spray it how long do you leave say the hydrometer till you use it as I read you don't use water on it after to rinse....

Just use the hydrometer straight away, that's why Videne is a no rinse sanitiser

I've never had any luck in sourcing Videne. Most of the pharmacies I have been to give me a blank look and the others always seem to stock the other type.

Any pharmacy will order it in.

£10.70 seems to be retail price though

Asda said they'd get it in by 12 yesterday, they didn't so I told them to do one.
Went next door to boots, same price but it was there when I went to collect this morning.

Phoned round all the pharmacies and it was all the same price roughly, gutted theres no bargains knocking about.

Luckily my mates mum works in boots, didn't even ask when I told her what I needed, "Oh, homebrewing..." she knows me too well :lol:

Back