Thinking going back to corni kegs!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Bri, not a good idea at all.. i tried it with 2 x 10" filter housings using 1 x 5 micron filter before 1 x 2 micron filter. started off ok but the trickle of beer into the receiving keg soon stopped requiering a pressure increase to push it through etc.. by the time it was circa 60psi pushing the beer through the 2 x filters the plumbing started to fail atomising the beer ;) the atomised beer penetrated curtains carpets and wall paper and soon turned to a sour stale beer smell. ;( If you do attempt keg to gek filtering do so outside ....

Ha ha! Fil the rescue again! Knew you would know! And thried all this thing I'm coming up with!
Thx pal sounded a good idea last nite! But as Druncen and you age I don't have to filter it!
Time with condition it...
BTW that kit isn't a party tap at all...
Bonus!!
I'll wait to get it & ask for next from you all!! Don't want to cock thing up!

How's things anyway pal?

Hmmmmmmm!
Looking at a lump of wood lying around...!! I could cut it for length and the once I get the hole in...tighted the tap!!
Just like Claig done...get the corni out of the Small freezer and prop it in between the the freezer and the draw...well that in theory that is!
Like I said I'll have see if a neighbour has a drill..if not pop to whicks or something like that..
Btw then drill without a chuck are **** for my one handed operation...coz mine is stuck on open!! Have to get our lass onto it!! Two hands!!!

will your corny's fit in the freezer without adding a collar to raise the lid? most folk using chest freezers need to remove the lid and add a collar of 2x4 or 2x5 timber to provide enough headroom for the kegs and disconnects.

if this is the case then you can simply mount the taps in the collar :)

the other issue im aware of using a chest freezer is that unlike a fridge there is no condensation drain as its not intended to run warm enough for water to melt. this can be addressed by keeping an old towel in the freezer bottom to absorb any pooled condensation so you can remove it regularly with a towel exchange.

If left to sit in the freezer a pool of condensate can leak into the foam insulation and start to go mankey with algea/fungus YUK!!

Guys!!
I'm not using the chest freezer...ONLY TO COOL THE CORNI!
Once I get my fridge(s) they be in them..
Cool the corni..take out of the freezer..attach the tap set up! & pore a hopilly good pint!!
It's mis leading..sorry I should of explained earlier on...but you know what I'm like..
Any ways my workout for the day! Cutting temp blocks for the tap!

A small one...and a large! I'll prob fluff it it!

If it doesn't seat right!! Plan B...

Loads of ways I can do it!
But what's easier! And a one handed pore a pint should a laugh!!

And there you go posting freezer pics with wood in the lid jam too !! what is a chap supposed to think with all this chatter about going corny with freezer pics interspersed ;)

I think i may still be misunderstanding your intentions. Why chill in the freezer in advance of siting in a fridge?? chilling to freezing temps without co2 attached will probably result in a total pressure loss due to co2 absorption by the brew, the headroom in a corny is minimal so even at 10psi its not containing a lot of co2 compared to the capacity of 19l of beer to absorb it.

imho your best of filling a keg and stashing it in a kegfridge at the temp and pressure indicated as ideal for serving by a conditioning chart https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kegerators.com%2Farticles%2Fcarbonation-table-pressure-chart.php&ei=Tn_MUv_qC5CqhAfL5YHQAw&usg=AFQjCNFBmyJM8-kSKjo26ur1iyUdS-nxpA&sig2=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4 iirc there is a version using centergrade or real money temps stickied over on jims in the dispense section..

then simply wait a week or 10 days by which time the brew will have both conditioned and matured a tad and most of the sediment should have dropped out to be picked up by the first 1/4 pint pour from the keg.

you can speed up the conditioning by applying a greater than optimal pressure but that can lead to over conditioning very easily. and if agitated or shaken the sediment clouding the brew wont have chance to settle out.

personally i do force condition with a greater pressure than optimal, but i dont have a keg fridge so have no option since ambient temp is rarely constant nor near optimum serving temp. so this is a case of do as i say not as i do ;)

Right!! I have say I'm only putting a corni keg..with NO co2 attachments..just the corni with beer til it's cool to serve...then once I've got the corni out attach the co2...
If I had a upright fridge it would be used...
Forget the freezer! Um not trying to make kegerfreezer or what ever the bloody this called...sorry again!
Hope you can understand now..the only chilling I have at the mo is the little chest freezer!
Of ta bed...midnight and I'm hoping in the light of day my babbling can make sence to all...
Once again sorry

Found my old thread!!
This can confuse yous...n I'm not the best person to explain at the best of times...
This was as was hoping a few years ago going to be Made into a kegirator!!
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39933
Not now! Just for chilling the corni's...I'm not leaving it!! Before u think lol I'll time it right!!
Or
The best thing I could do...with my tiny brain..to avoid any safely with and my brain ain't working!!!
Leave the corni in the outhouse toilet...close the (even open the widow!) and see if the temp get right to pore...
That'll be the best way!!! Don't u think? Without this messing on..
Why didn't I think about before!....
Thinking 6-9c for lager..

thats pretty much how i do it..
10005268293_8b7c00788e_z.jpg

beers gain condition when cold and loose it in the warm, and a pre session vent to normalise keg pressure to that set on the regulator. And come summer a shelf chiller is required.
the co2 pressure needs a tweak with temp changes too but there is no escaping the loss and gain of condition down to the change in ambient temp..

Parcel-fart are in the usual delivery state!!! We are going out soon...and bet there deliver once I get out...😬
Hope they deliver to the neighbour!!
Mind they don't text me what time there delivering!! Unlike my delivery from malt Miller...there spot on!

Eventually got back a the corni kit is here!!
Righhhhhhttt!!!
For all I can faguely remember some of the parts! I'll say now due to my learning diffictlys and slow uptake how to do things (I'm ok once show are tried it)
So I will need even help if yous don't mind?
The following pics should be numbered...I'll not attempt to try n remember the names..coz I can't.
Hopely it would help me to assemble the kit in sequence and safely!!!
Any help would be appreciated, & as I'm taking my time and rushing or trying to 20 jobs at once I'll apreciated one step at a time...coz if not I'll get confused etc..
Pics TBC

The coni..
Whilst I trying one handed...the position it's exactly right!! I know with pressure with co2 hoping the fit becomes tight!!

Here's my attempt for numbering the kit
Hoping stage one to ettempt once I read the answers and digest the info!!

Obviously going for a co2 tomorow!!

The keg lid needs a couple of psi to fully seal. I usually give it 10.

1 is your beer line and 2 is your gas line.

3 is the manometer which tells you the pressure inside the keg (if it's connected).

4 is the shank, which screws onto the back of 11, your faucet. 7 screws onto the back of the shank. 10 is the tap handle and 5 is the collar (you'll only really need this if you intend on mounting the faucet/shank through a fridge or freezer door)

One each of 6 screw onto the thread on 8 (gas disconnect - this goes onto the post marked In on the corny) and 9 (liquid disconnect, this goes onto the post marked out on the corny).

Your beer line (1) will connect 7 and 9, your gas line (2) will connect your regulator (3 - via the grey push fit at the bottom) with 8.

Not sure on 12, could you take a photo of just that part?

Latest posts

Back