Pumpkin beer recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Are any of you planning to do a Pumpkin beer this year? I am preparing all the stuff to do the one from the bible. Anyone done this and how did it come out? I would not mind doing a few more as well, maybe a pumpkin porter or stout. Maybe a wine and cider as well. If anyone has any good links please post them.
The recipe call for ground ginger. Does this go stale as the stuff i have must be years old.

Get some new ginger! I done one last year as I had loads of pumpkin off the allotment.
I roasted about 5kg of pumpkin covered in brown sugar and cinnamon and boiled the pulp with star anise and ginger...I think! Then made up the rest with a coopers bitter
I was very seasonal,friends liked it too but it wasn't something you could drink lots of.

Found the recipe.

This was for final volume of 30 litres and it came out at 6.7% abv

I used Butternut Squash and this has more flavour than the Halloween pumpkins.

2Kg Butternut Squash. Quartered and sprinkled with brown sugar. Roasted for 1 1/2 hours at 190c. Skin removed and cubed.

Pale Malt - 5.5kg
Crystal Wheat malt - 200g
Biscuit Malt - 200g
Special B malt - 200g
Torrified Wheat -500g

Mash at 66c for 90 mins

Boil
Dark Brown Sugar - 215g - 90 mins
The Butternut Squash - 90 mins (i used a hop spider and bag to contain it)

Target hops - 20g - 60mins
Irish Moss - 4g - 15 mins
Cinnamon ground - 4tsp - 5mins
Nutmeg ground - 1tsp - 5mins
Ginger ground - 1tsp - 5mins

Yeast - S04

Add 2 tsp vanilla extract once fermentation is complete.

It came out quite well, not too spicy, but as Clint said probably one to savor rather than a session ale.

The GH recipe has about 5kg of grain and a large pumpkin for a 23l batch which seems wrong to me. How big is a large pumpkin? One i have weighs over 5kg so i would expect a very strong beer with that. Looking at Dad's recipe i need to tame down on the grain so i can make a session beer. I like the idea of caramalising the pumpkin and boiling it. Everything i have seen mashes it. Also have a squash to go in as well. Will be doing a pumpkin porter after this.

Think it's the first episode of the experimental brewing podcast where they discuss pumpkin beers. Their advice was to roast the puree and to add to boil or in the fermenter. Apparently, if roasted there's not much starches left to convert and it almost guarantee's a stuck mash/sparge. Drew's recipe is to add pumpkin to a scotch ale recipe and ferment with a saison yeast for the spiciness, he doesn't add any actual spices.

Don’t use the Halloween pumpkins, they don’t taste of anything. Probably best to go to a veg supplier or an online supplier. Riverford produced some amazing pumpkins last year, they’re really not cheap though.

My very first all grain beer was Greg Hughes's Pumpkin Beer. It was absolutely ace.

I wandered around the supermarkets on the 30th/31st to hope to find pumpkins on the cheap for my next brew and the buggers all got rid of them all (Presumably for animal feed). I hope the culinary pumpkins come back in stock this week, otherwise, I will use a butternut squash. I'm thinking of making some sort of Imperial Pumpkin Ale this time.

You can use the Jack O' Lantern Pumpkins. You just may want to use a bit more as they can be watery. Definitely roast them up first to get the sugars out and reduce the water content.

I put this recipe into brewers friend and got 23l at 1053, only 2 points from 7kg of fresh pumpkin with a PPG of 1. Surely this cant be right. Presumed the pumpkin is used for its sugar content and not taste. If i input dried pumpkin it almost doubles the ABV. I don't want a strong beer and i don't want to end up with 40l diluted. Any ideas as round 4.5% would be ideal.

1 large pumpkin around 5kg
1 butternut squash 2kg

3.2 kg Maris Otter
1kg Munich
500g Wheat
200g Amber
100g Special W

Finally brewed one, used some rice hulls so i did not get a stuck mash but the lauter was very slow. Wort was a lovely pale orange, not sure how much came from the squash though. Here is the recipe;

mashed at 67C, mashout 75c
23l batch
3.6kg Mariss Otter
600g flaked barley
180g amber
90g crystal 60
850g wheat
100g special w
1 butternut squash and medium large pumpkin
roasted 100minutes

18g Magnum @60
15g Hallertaue Mittelfruh @5
cinamom stick @5
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 vanilla pod
1/10th of a nutmeg
CML US pale ale yeast

PUMPKIN ALE USING WILCO CERVEZA KIT AS A BASE

Day One
Finely sliced 3 x Pumpkins into 8 litres of water.
Added 1 x Tablespoon of Mixed Spice and 8 Cloves and boiled for two hours.
Allowed brew to cool, minced with blender and reboiled.

Day Two
Strained out most “bits” with coarse colander.
Added 1 x Tablespoon of All Spice.
Added can of malt from Wilco Cerveza kit.
Brought back to boil and allowed to cool.

Day Three
Transferred to FV.
Brought volume up to 23 litres with cold water.
Pitched yeast at 20 degrees and fermenting at same temperature.

OG was 1.030 which should give +/-3% ABV after carbonation.

Started 15th November and MAY BE READY FOR NEW YEAR - but will be better for the cold days of late January! :thumb:

Does that taste a bit clovey by any chance? I decided not to add any in the end. Had a massive krausen with this beer. Glad i have a large FV or would of been everywhere, still bubbling away. Hope i can drink it before the end of January.

Does that taste a bit clovey by any chance? I decided not to add any in the end. Had a massive krausen with this beer. Glad i have a large FV or would of been everywhere, still bubbling away. Hope i can drink it before the end of January.

I'm hoping that the "All Spice" flavour carries through to the finished product. Last year it was really faint so I deliberately added double the amount and the extra cloves.

The brew took off like a train but after four days it's started to slow down a bit. I presume that the yeast contained in the Cerveza Kit is a bottom fermenting type because there is little or no krausen to be seen through the FV.

BTW, when I worked in Indonesia I got hooked on the local fags which contained ground up cloves! :thumb:

Out there, you can spot a smoker a mile away. The fags spit and crackle like burning heather and every smoker has a load of tiny burns down the front of his shirt! :lol::lol:

**** KING KEGS. Just sprung a leak everywhere and in disgust it went down the drain. So no idea what the beer came out like. I vaguely remember bottling a couple but no idea where they are. Just another disaster. At least it was not IPA.

Back