finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggy

Reaction score
hello all...can anyone give me the correct ratio of wilkinsons finings a to b please. is it by volume or by weight 3 to 1, 4 to 1??????. cheers muggy

I have a pack and it doesn't say in the contents like I thought it would. I guess the only way to find out is to measure with a syringe.

As I recall, it is a single dose intended for 5 gallon brews. For smaller brews I use 'Clear It', using 1-3 ml of parts A and B per gallon, depending on how much the brew has already cleared. You can repeat the dose if it doesn't clear completely and is very economical. The down side is that it strips out some tannin, which can leave the wine tasting rather bland. If you add tannin to correct this, the wine becomes hazy and you have to wait for this to clear by itself, which rather defeats the object of using finings in the first place. Wine always tastes better if left to clear naturally because it has matured.

thank you so i guess i either weigh or measure a and b and as long as i divide by 5 per gallon then should be ok. simples cheers

Interesting. When doing wows, country wines etc and using Kwikclear or similar to fine then they normally stipulate 1:1 ration of the two parts. BUT, kits such as Beaverdale tha I favour have the two packs, kielselsol and chitosan ( sic ) but the latter is FAR greater in quantity than the former.

I make mead which clears itself without finnings, but if I make a WOW or ginger wine for example, I use kwik clear with good results. It goes a long way too. I bought 2ml syringes for the job.

NICKED:

Wilkos finings are: A = 10ml and B = 50ml.

Soooo, for 1 gallon, 2ml of Finings A (call it half a teaspoon for cash) and 10ml for Finings B (2 teaspoon)

BUT, kits such as Beaverdale tha I favour have the two packs, kielselsol and chitosan ( sic ) but the latter is FAR greater in quantity than the former.

The Winebuddy kits have a 3 part fining sashes 1 & 3 are much smaller than sachet 2.

Do the likes of kwik clear and clear it need to be used within a month or so or are they ok for a good while once opened?

Cheers. Tom

Kwik clear does not have a date other than the use by date with is many months ahead Youngs Clear it has a short shelf life once opened (i think its a month) member Tonyhibbet (*SP) told me ages ago Clear It is fine after the month is out and i have used it up to a month after that and it did us no harm and didn't make the wine taste bad.

If you can get KwiK Clear locally get that as in my opinion its the best fining available.

Thanks for the info Mr Tea

I was under the impression that they were identical? Maybe not then eh? Will look out for some kwik clear.
Bought a double sachet of wilko a&b finings without realising that they were for 5 galls ish. Any harm in using the lot in a 4.5 litre brew? Or use half and will the rest keep?

Cheers. Tom

Liquid.

Had an email conversation with someone at youngs. Says it's ok to use the full amount but to expect more sediment. I asked about using half and storing the rest. He said what was left wouldn't last that long.
I've got a pack of kwik clear on order so will keep the sachets for a 5 gallon brew, if/when I get around to it. Is "brew" the correct term to use for wine though?
Still finding my feet again with this wine stuff, can make beer with my hands tied behind my back and standing on one leg (not really but it's almost automatic now) so taking things slowly ish :thumb:

Cheers. Tom

I'm probably being a little over concerned and my wilko kit has only been fined for about 8 days but if I shine a torch through the demijohn it looks like a purply soup. To be fair, it does say 10 days ish and I know to take these instructions with a large pinch of sodium chloride. There's about half an inch of sediment so something is happening. Should I be able to see through the wine when it's clear? Sounds daft and I know whites are easier to judge but are reds as obvious when they're clear?

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back