Boiling water. What do you use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
So, today.. in preparation for tomorrows brew day, I fired up my new gas ring with my propane cylinder... and I can't help but feel that it's a bit dodgy. I have a 70L Boil Pot, and with a 30L test boil today, it actually held up really well and didn't do anything to support my fears.. but 1 70L pot with 35L of boiling wort inside is a bit dodgy IMO. (I did it in the hallway downstairs, which is a wide open space).

Nothing at all bad happened and maybe I'm being paranoid.

I don't have a garage unfortunately, but was considering boiling outside under the porch for cover.. I'd feel it were safer. Do you think that would be already? Whether etc? And particles of **** in the air?

Failing that, does anyone use an electric kettle which is big enough for 30+ litre boils? What would you/do you use?

I did two yesterday in my electric boiler, plastic bin style, both about 28 litres pre-boil, I boil outside as I feel it will be easier to clean if anything were to happen.

My boiler sits on a 40 year old folding wooden table with no issue and i tend to have the lid on with about a third open to allow for evaporation, mt patio is reasonably sheltered but there is debris in the air, especially as it was blowing a gale yesterday, but it seems to stay out, and I'm sure a leaf or two won't hurt and get almost vaporised the minute it hits 100c.

So I understand your paranoia, but it will most likely be fine.

Photos attached to show my Hi-Tech not dodgy in the slightest set up.

IMG_20171122_103555.jpg

IMG_20171122_143334.jpg

I boil outside and put the lid mostly on when it's cold, and half on when it's warm. I have a big parasol open over the setup which partly protects from falling stuff.

Never had any problems.

I did two yesterday in my electric boiler, plastic bin style, both about 28 litres pre-boil, I boil outside as I feel it will be easier to clean if anything were to happen.

My boiler sits on a 40 year old folding wooden table with no issue and i tend to have the lid on with about a third open to allow for evaporation, mt patio is reasonably sheltered but there is debris in the air, especially as it was blowing a gale yesterday, but it seems to stay out, and I'm sure a leaf or two won't hurt and get almost vaporised the minute it hits 100c.

So I understand your paranoia, but it will most likely be fine.

Photos attached to show my Hi-Tech not dodgy in the slightest set up.

....okay, mind blown! You're boiling in a plastic bucket? This is something I've never seen. And I have to say I'm confused. You have an element in there? Does the element not melt the plastic?

Question for both, covering when you boil the wort is supposed to be bad no? I thought we had to let the bad stuff evaporate?

No melting, it’s basically just the same as a Peco bin but home built, standard off the shelf 2.4KW element, it has a large silicon washer inside and a metal locknut outside, they’re simple and don’t leak (kiss of death)

I use the lid to get up to a boil and then dependant on conditions take it off or leave it half on, there’s enough boil off.

I have to say, I'm still confused. :)

I assume the element sits away from the plastic bottom?

Googling peco bins has mad my evening :) looks much safer than a precariously placed giant metal pot on a flimsy tin gas ring spitting flames lol

Have you also seen the brupaks boiler version. Used tho brew with one and was really quite good. Still got it. May have to put it up on for sale as no longer needed. If your interested/ anywhere in the country near me. Oxfordshire. I'll put it up and you can see

Have you also seen the brupaks boiler version. Used tho brew with one and was really quite good. Still got it. May have to put it up on for sale as no longer needed. If your interested/ anywhere in the country near me. Oxfordshire. I'll put it up and you can see

Definitely interested. Just Googled it quick and looks like a decent bit of kit. What's the capacity? I bought a 70L Pot so that I can boil all the water in one go, but maybe 70L was overkill.

70L may be overkill for now, but you may find a use for it further down the road at capacity, but it will work just as well for lower volumes.

Heating a full volume of water in one though from cold will take a while unless you have a serious burner.

I looked at going gas with 50L Shiny pots, but the economics of it for the amount of brew days I get didn't add up, so I started with one plastic bucket & element and did BIAB using my old stove top (also electric element) pan for sparge water heating.

But after a few I decided to go 3 vessel, the buckets are off ebay and were about a tenner each, cheaper if you bought multiples, and the elements are direct from Peco with the right lead.

I already had a Q-Max for the hole cut and had a choice of the peco style plastic taps or fitting ball valve types.

It works and was cheap enough, and fed my enjoyment of building my own kit.

I used the brupaks for biab and it works perfect for full volume brews. It's a 30 ltr volume pot. I have posted it in the forsale if you'd like to see it Jon

What's the exmoore gold recipe you do photec. I do the malt Miller clone fantastic beer. Just about to do it again

I do like the idea of making my own stuff, I recently made a Wort Chiller.. Cost me £43 to make it and then beer hawk went and had a 50% off sale, and now they're £35! So it kinda backfired.. was fun to make though. The problem is I don't have time to make much else...

I bought stock kit for the rest though.

I think my biggest concern really, is my burner. It looks and feels a little flimsy, and with a huge pot and 30+L of water in it, it worries me.

As you say, maybe the best option is to heat up my strike water first of around 19L and while the mash is resting... heat up the sparge water. Means less boiling water in one go... that said, I still need to boil the wort! Which is going to be all the liquid nearly anyway.

What's the exmoore gold recipe you do photec. I do the malt Miller clone fantastic beer. Just about to do it again

It was;

4.6KG of Pale Malt

50g Challenger @ 60min
18g EKG @ 10
10g Bobek @ Flame Out

I do a 60\60 mash & boil

It's based on the Graham Wheeler recipe.

Latest posts

Back