Corny keg storage between use.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamekeepa

Reaction score
I’ve got myself a couple of corny kegs and a Cornelius chiller. My question is about storing the kegs between use. Do they need to be kept chilled for the sake of the beer or is ok that the beer just gets chilled on dispense? Or is it ok in the winter but not in the summer maybe to leave them in situ under the bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've kept an ale in my corny at room temp for a while now and havnt has any issues, as long as it's sealed and purged it should be fine for a long time

when keeping corny kegs off gas its sudden drops in temperature you need to worry about. If a sudden frost ocurrs for example the temp can drop to a level that allows the beer to absorb All the pressure making co2 in the small lid void to the point the pressure drops below that which makes the lid seal. unlike sankey kegs when the beer warms up with ambient temps and releases the co2 back out some corny lids will not keep the seal without pressure so the co2 vents off to the atmosphere.. ooooer!

however a pressure gauge cobbled together with a bit of gas/beerline and a corny grey disconnect makes a simple test pressure guage so if your kegs do suffer from a sudden temp drop you can check em easily.. So its not a problem as long as your on the ball

when keeping corny kegs off gas its sudden drops in temperature you need to worry about. If a sudden frost ocurrs for example the temp can drop to a level that allows the beer to absorb All the pressure making co2 in the small lid void to the point the pressure drops below that which makes the lid seal. unlike sankey kegs when the beer warms up with ambient temps and releases the co2 back out some corny lids will not keep the seal without pressure so the co2 vents off to the atmosphere.. ooooer!

however a pressure gauge cobbled together with a bit of gas/beerline and a corny grey disconnect makes a simple test pressure
guage so if your kegs do suffer from a sudden temp drop you can check em easily.. So its not a problem as long as your on the ball

Iv always kept mine in the shed and never had a problem with temp change. My basic use of kegs is just keep it topped up at 10 psi until it makes no noise when connecting the gas up

Latest posts

Back